Filter broken during cycle emergency! Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Datreeferman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everybody, I've been cycling my tank for a couple days now and this evening I've found that my filter stopped working. Will the cycle keep going? Will it affect the cycle? If so how? Is this really bad? I probably won't be able to wash out my filter till this weekend because I won't have time. Will it be ok, off till then?:confused: will the ammonia levels over-rise? I've never encountered this before so please, I will need all the help/advice I can get:hide: also, unfortunately I don't have a test kit(I've read that it's not totally needed), I go to petco to test my tanks every weekend or so.
Thanks,datreeferman.

You are fine. Let it ride. Get ya a new one this weekend. Will just be a tax longer on the cycle.

How long will/can it be ok without a filter without actually truly messing up the cycle on estimate? It's a 10 gallon.

What did it do to stop functioning?

It's really not a big deal. Just throw the filter media in the tank and everything will be fine.

Yep, and if you want to you can take a cup of water and pour it back in to aerate the water every once in a while. Might help a bit.

You know some people here might be able to help you troubleshoot your filter problem. I'd post it as a separate question if you feel like it.

:thanks: for the help everyone, fortunately, I got my filter up and running again:dance: I think it was just a minor motor misalignment but I'm not sure. I'll keep an eye on it though. Hopefully my cycle will go well. :thanks: again.
One more thing, does anyone know around/ an estimate of how long it'll take to cycle a ten gallon with fish food? I have a heater,sand and a filter,And I'm thinking of putting a porous rock or used fish water in the tank from someone else's tank. Would that speed up the cycle or help at all?

the water won't really help, the rock might a little, but your best bet is a piece of dirty filter media or the sqeezing from a dirty filter.

I'm a little concerned about trying to cycle a tank without a test kit. Getting your water tested weekly at Petco won't really cut it.

Back
Top Bottom