Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2011, 04:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Filter change

I have an extra filter on the back of my wife's 55 gallon tank it is an aquaclear 20 I am going to put it on my 10 gallon. How long does it need to stay on the 55 before it will be seeded and ready to go on the 10 it has been on there for about 2 weeks?

Old 10-24-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Not sure how long if the AC20 is just sitting there with just the original BioMax and sponge it came with. But if you seed the filter compartment with media from the other filter that has been running (assuming its been established and running for quite some time) then it wouldn't have to sit there long at all.

I actually seeded my AC20 by placing that BioMax bag in my other (much larger) filter that has been running for about a year. I left it there for 2 weeks and I even squeezed some filter sponge brownish BB juice on it for good measure. Afterwards, I placed the BioMax bag in the AC20 and then on my Fluval Edge tank and proceeded to stock a little bit at a time with no problems. My Edge has been running for 2 months now, everything checks out perfectly on my test kit params.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will take the bio max bag out and put it in my wife's filter for a while

Tags
change, filter, filter change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com