Filter change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fellin1975

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started my aquarium about four weeks ago. My nitrites are about 10ppm and my nitrates are about 2, and I haven't changed the filter which today it started to backflow. I cleaned the filter a couple of times with the same water from the tank. My question is, how can bring down the nitrites and should I put a new filter? I have 4 gold fish in a 10g tank. And I've been doing 25% water changes every other day.

Overfeeding is probably an issue here. Also, you can't keep any variety of goldfish in a 10 gallon. Not even one goldfish all by itself.

Now, nitrites take a while to go down during a cycle. You should feed the fish about four flakes each once a day and no more until your tank finishes it's cycle and then you can swap them out at a fish store for a type of fish that will be happy in a 10 gallon. There are lots and lots of fish that will be very happy in your tank after it cycles.

When you do water changes what kind of chlorine remover are you using to treat the new water? Also, what kind of filter do you have on your tank?

My filter is a Tetra whisper 10 mounted outside and I've been using tetra water safe plus to remove the chlorine.

Unfortunately you're fighting a losing battle. Goldfish are messy and they are producing a lot of waste; they also need a lot of filtration. The nitrites are high due to the cycle; the only way to bring them down is through water changes. But 4 goldies shouldn't be in a 10 gal, it's too small a tank for such a messy fish. Here's a couple of links for you:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Fellin1975 said:
My filter is a Tetra whisper 10 mounted outside and I've been using tetra water safe plus to remove the chlorine.

I would definitely recommend changing to either an Aquaclear power filter or a Marineland bio-wheel filter. You'll want some sort of biological media that doesn't need to be changed out in your filter. Both of these brands have good filters that have separate mechanical and biological media. The Aquaclear filters use a sponge and are excellent and the Marineland filters use a wheel. Both would be far better than the Tetra filter you have now which are known to leak anyway.

Please read the links Librarygirl posted for you and ask any questions you may have!

What are you using to test your water? Strips are the only test I know of the will measure up to 10ppm of nitrite. What is your ammonia level? Strips are inaccurate at best- I suggest that you invest in a decent liquid test kit so you can accurately monitor your water parameters.

Unfortunately, your tank is too small for even a single goldfish and you will be fighting a losing battle with ammonia and nitrite levels because it will be next to impossible to cycle it properly. The best you can do for these guys right now are large (75%), multiple daily water changes until you can find a more suitable home for them (atleast a 55g or a pond depending on type).

Thanks everyone for all your replies. Like I said, I'm new to the hobby and now I know lots of stuff thanks to this forum that I didn't know before. I'm planning on getting a 55g after the holidays. But my question it's still not clear should I change the filter media or just keep cleaning it?

Keep it until its literally falling apart. Just gently swish it once a week in some used tank water. Multiple daily water changes are going to be vital to keeping these guys healthy and alive- you want to keep your ammonia & nitrites below .25ppm while cycling. Please ask if you have any questions!

Fellin1975 said:
Thanks everyone for all your replies. Like I said, I'm new to the hobby and now I know lots of stuff thanks to this forum that I didn't know before. I'm planning on getting a 55g after the holidays. But my question it's still not clear should I change the filter media or just keep cleaning it?

Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted to know about the "media". I thought you were asking if you should get a different filter. jik is right on the mark about the filter pads. If you change it, all of the bacteria will go in the trash with it. Just rinse it in tank water like jik said. I use mine for about 4-6 months each. If you buy a cheap bio sponge and fit it in the filter along with the Whisper pad it'll be better for keeping your bacteria stable.

Back
Top Bottom