Filter exchange while cycling!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daniel2509

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

I got a couple questions about exchanging the filter for my 10g tank. Last couple weeks I purchased a top fin aquarium starter kit with led light from pet smart. After 2 first weeks with trying every method to fishless cycle my tank, i failed so bad when the Ammo reached 8.0 ppm (0 nitrite + nitrate) and stalled my cycle. I even added bacteria source from my friend's spounge filter but it's going nowhere, so I did 90% wc and started everything from 0. This time, I've tried TSS( tetra safestart) with bacteria source and 1 betta, but the Ammo seems to go nowhere again.
I checked a couple threads about top fin 10 filter and how bad feedbacks ppl gave to it, so I decide to buy Fluval Aquaclear 20 to help speeding my proccess. Therefore, here's my couple questions:
1) How can I switch to the new filter and transfer my BB to it? Assuming that there are BB in the topfin 10.
2) Should i add more TSS and bacteria sources like filter media or sponge to my new filter?
3) Will Aquaclear 20 really help to speed up the proccess?
4) Do I need to do wc again?

Other advices are very welcome from you guys, thanks!

image-4122968356.jpg

image-175661758.jpg

P/S: top fin 10 filter just has 1 cartridge and 1 filter media. Very small space to put anything in there, and the filter media was behind the cartridge, seems to me that all my BB will be stucked in that cartridge.

1. Just jam the filter media from the top fin into the aquaclear.
2. You can but TSS may not help. Media from an established tank will certainly help.
3. I don't think it will, there isn't any reason why it would.
4. You only need to do a water change if your levels are not where they should be, ammo >.25, nitrite >.25, and nitrate >40.

1. Just jam the filter media from the top fin into the aquaclear.
2. You can but TSS may not help. Media from an established tank will certainly help.
3. I don't think it will, there isn't any reason why it would.
4. You only need to do a water change if your levels are not where they should be, ammo >.25, nitrite >.25, and nitrate >40.

After 24 hours, I got this result. I can't believe in my eyes, lol!
Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
Ph high: 7.4

Basically, my ammonia level was 1.0 in tap water already. I used prime 48 hours ago and added fish + TSS last 24 hours. Wake up in the morning and see this. Should i be happy or worry?

image-1606778276.jpg

After 24 hours, I got this result. I can't believe in my eyes, lol!
Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
Ph high: 7.4

Basically, my ammonia level was 1.0 in tap water already. I used prime 48 hours ago and added fish + TSS last 24 hours. Wake up in the morning and see this. Should i be happy or worry?

It's ok I would try for a 0 ammonia other then that everything else is good

It's ok I would try for a 0 ammonia other then that everything else is good

How can i possibly do that when my tap always show 1.0 ammo everytime? I wouldn't want to risk killing all my BB by wc + prime again. But i got to admit that changing the filter was somehow good. Am i right?

How can i possibly do that when my tap always show 1.0 ammo everytime? I wouldn't want to risk killing all my BB by wc + prime again. But i got to admit that changing the filter was somehow good. Am i right?

Ya your rite about the filter I got a 50 on my 30 gallon n I love it maybe if u can get a bucket and treat the water with prime in the bucket leave sit for a nite an test it be4 puttin it in your tank

Ya your rite about the filter I got a 50 on my 30 gallon n I love it maybe if u can get a bucket and treat the water with prime in the bucket leave sit for a nite an test it be4 puttin it in your tank
I did that, pour prime into a 5g bucket and wait 24 hours. The test still shows 0.5 to 1.0, should I get ammo chip and put in the bucket next time?

I did that, pour prime into a 5g bucket and wait 24 hours. The test still shows 0.5 to 1.0, should I get ammo chip and put in the bucket next time?

U could try I know I have done this and I put nutrafin and it worked for me

It's more likely the water changes that got the ball rolling on your tank. The bacteria don't care what brand of filter they are sitting inside, as long as there is water flowing through it they will grow.

That would work, I would get a filter media bag, fill it with ammo chips, and then run your old filter on the bucket of tap water until your cycle starts up.

This is currently a fish in cycle with a betta correct?
What's the nitrate level out of the tap?

It's more likely the water changes that got the ball rolling on your tank. The bacteria don't care what brand of filter they are sitting inside, as long as there is water flowing through it they will grow.

That would work, I would get a filter media bag, fill it with ammo chips, and then run your old filter on the bucket of tap water until your cycle starts up.

This is currently a fish in cycle with a betta correct?
What's the nitrate level out of the tap?

image-2913523294.jpg

I just test it for u, tap's nitrate = 0.
I'm currently cycle with my betta and i think he's ok. Btw, should i mix prime and wait 24 hours or just get ammo chips and put them in at the same time? How long does it take to remove all the ammo in that bucket?
From ur judgement, can u tell me my next steps? I should prepare everything and keep toxic away from my betta :(

Btw, I named my betta Sparkle because he likes to play with light does silly things, lol!

image-3523822918.jpg

I just test it for u, tap's nitrate = 0.
I'm currently cycle with my betta and i think he's ok. Btw, should i mix prime and wait 24 hours or just get ammo chips and put them in at the same time? How long does it take to remove all the ammo in that bucket?
From ur judgement, can u tell me my next steps? I should prepare everything and keep toxic away from my betta :(

Btw, I named my betta Sparkle because he likes to play with light does silly things, lol!

I would just put them in at the same time. Prime doesn't remove the ammonia; it just binds it into another form so that it's no longer toxic but still possible to be used by ammonia removal methods.

I generally suggest a 50% water change weekly or as needed. In your case it might be a little more often.

Just get the water in the bucket with the filter full of ammonia chips and keep the filter running until the ammonia drops to 0. This shouldn't take a very long time. You can keep this bucket on hand to do water changes whenever needed.

Another option is to mix the water but leave the filter running with a small heater to temp match the ammonia free water to your betta's tank water.

But in any case, just do a water change whenever you see an ammonia / nitrate reading above .25 and a nitrate reading above 40 like fishperson said earlier.

After your tank is fully cycled you no longer need to use the ammonia chips. You can do a water change and the BB in your tank will take care of any ammonia in the tap water.

I would just put them in at the same time. Prime doesn't remove the ammonia; it just binds it into another form so that it's no longer toxic but still possible to be used by ammonia removal methods.

I generally suggest a 50% water change weekly or as needed. In your case it might be a little more often.

Just get the water in the bucket with the filter full of ammonia chips and keep the filter running until the ammonia drops to 0. This shouldn't take a very long time. You can keep this bucket on hand to do water changes whenever needed.

Another option is to mix the water but leave the filter running with a small heater to temp match the ammonia free water to your betta's tank water.

But in any case, just do a water change whenever you see an ammonia / nitrate reading above .25 and a nitrate reading above 40 like fishperson said earlier.

After your tank is fully cycled you no longer need to use the ammonia chips. You can do a water change and the BB in your tank will take care of any ammonia in the tap water.

Ammo chip or Zeolite will both work as the same purpose right? Should i add more TSS after wc, Mebbid? I think it jump starts my cycle really fast because when I did fishless cycle last time, i couldn't see any nitrate. But look, 20 ppm this time with 0 nitrite, lol! Btw, will the water after mixed up with ammo chips be just like the one they sell at LPS?

Ammo chip or Zeolite will both work as the same purpose right? Should i add more TSS after wc, Mebbid? I think it jump starts my cycle really fast because when I did fishless cycle last time, i couldn't see any nitrate. But look, 20 ppm this time with 0 nitrite, lol! Btw, will the water after mixed up with ammo chips be just like the one they sell at LPS?

They should both do the same thing.

If you don't have to buy more then I'd say go ahead and use it. Otherwise I'd just skip it. Your cycle should be pretty close to finished by now.

I believe the water should be similar but I would definitely test the pH before doing water changes. It could potentially be vastly different due to the filtration process.

So i will need to buy PH up and down too, right?

yeah, I would avoid that stuff like the plague. It will cause you nothing but headaches. After the water from the LFS has sat around for a day or so test the pH and see if it's different from your tanks. If its different start out doing smaller water changes at about 20% until your tank gets down the the pH of the new water.

yeah, I would avoid that stuff like the plague. It will cause you nothing but headaches. After the water from the LFS has sat around for a day or so test the pH and see if it's different from your tanks. If its different start out doing smaller water changes at about 20% until your tank gets down the the pH of the new water.

Like i remember. In order for ammo bb to work, Ph must be around 7.4 to 8.0 right? And yeah, thats a great idea to 20% wc. I'm super eager when u said my cycle is almost done.

Like i remember. In order for ammo bb to work, Ph must be around 7.4 to 8.0 right? And yeah, thats a great idea to 20% wc. I'm super eager when u said my cycle is almost done.

The BB stops when the pH hits 6.4 or so. And yep, when you start seeing nitrates it means you are on the home stretch for your BB. Once you no longer get any ammonia readings you can add a few fish at a time which will give your bacterial population time to adjust to the increased bio load.

The BB stops when the pH hits 6.4 or so. And yep, when you start seeing nitrates it means you are on the home stretch for your BB. Once you no longer get any ammonia readings you can add a few fish at a time which will give your bacterial population time to adjust to the increased bio load.

Ok done with setting the Ammo Remover System for tap water, lol

image-3311783130.jpg

image-4115781757.jpg

image-1749537838.jpg

Prime 1ml, Zeolite bag was devided into small amount withmesh bag. Let's check after 24 hours!

Jezz, my ammo 1.5, nitrite 0, and nitrate 60. How many percent for wc now?

Mebbid, u are a betta lover, aren't u? How do u think about this baffle? I made it with the idea of filter bottle baffle.

image-3017483828.jpg

image-3232533732.jpg

2 suction cups, 1 floating betta log, 6 inches fishing line.

Not a bad idea, but what is its primary purpose? Most bettas, especially veil tails and plakats don't have large issues with flow from those filters. Bettas such as the one in my profile pic with exceptionally large fins can have blow outs from the flow

Back
Top Bottom