Filter fo 55?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I'm prob gonna buy a 55gallon tank, just trying to plan out ahead. Would it be ok of I used the fluval 206 for this? It has slightly less than 4 times the tanks volume an hour of flow rate, so just below the rule. I just don't want to spend another 70 bucks for one size up.

I would have to personally say no. Why not get 2 large HOB filters if $ is a problem. Or buy a 406 or eheim 2217 used

I'm gonna get the 306 (up to 70g) or penn plax cascade. Any comments on these?

I don't really agree with this. Most filters that are rated for whatever size they claim really are not suitable. For a 55, I would stick with a good canister like the ones mentioned. If you choose the HOB route, get an AC110. Filtration is not somewhere you want to skimp on, let alone take the least expensive route. Odds are in the end you'll end up spending more to correct the problem.

I'm going with the 1000. I bought the lights for it- current USA satellite led plus lights. And I got a 150 watt heater. Will 150 watts be cutting it to close, or do I need another one?

Youll be ok with a 150w

I use a 50w for 20g
100w for 30g
200w for 65g

Never had a problem, itl be fine. Unless its a specific fish that needs the higher end of the heat scale then a 200 would be better as it wouldnt have to work as hard to hold a higher temperature in a 55.

Thanks. I'll prob also add another heater just in case one dies, and maybe an extra sponge filter for extra filtration.

Back
Top Bottom