Filter help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rara_da_housecat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29 gallon tank and just bought a Mainland Bio Wheel filter (emperor 280) I know it's a bit much for my tank size, this filter is compatible for up to 50 gallons.

The reason I went this route is because I've heard nothing good about the Marineland penguin 150 filters (stop working after no time at all, wheel doesn't turn, etc...) I noticed the water was turning a bit rough and my Platy's don't seem happy. I double wrapped the filter intake with filter floss 3 hours ago thinking it would slow it down...but it hasn't.

Any suggestions? I hate seeing my fish discontent.

You can put a rock structure or splatter bar on the out flow to cut the direct current.

That was a great solution and would've worked but I can't wedge the pad under the bio wheel without it stopping completely. :(

Perhaps a baffle would suit this purpose. Take a disposable water bottle, cut off one end as straight as you can. Then cut off the other end, making the resulting 'tube' the length of the filter weir.. the area the water flows over as it enters the tank.

Then cut a longwise slit in this bottle tube. Slip one cut side under the weir, the other is taped to whatever you can tape it to on top of the filter.

Water is redirected to both sides, reducing overall flow and pushing it sideways rather than straight out or downward. Won't bother the wheel. Might help, easy to find out.

Back
Top Bottom