Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diablos

Aquarium Advice Regular
Which filter media should be use with the ehiem pro 2 series...

Look like this...

img3039239med.jpg

and then this on the bottom?

img3039241med.jpg

But it says you can use biological or chemical filter layers on top of the first layer does that me charcoal and such? If anything needs clarifing let me know.[/img]

I can't tell what the first box really is since there isn't a picture.

The ceramic rings are what allow a place for bacteria to grow. They break down ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates. Your water changes remove the nitrates.

Charcoal is a chemical filtration. You'll find that it polishes the water off and gets rid of the smell in the water.

You would probably want both in your filter along with the different mesh sponges to filter out solids.

A lot of us don't run AC. Only after using medications or when you have a bad smell (or if you have new driftwood that tints the tank). Otherwise it really is not needed, and its taking up a slot that could be used to house more bacteria (since most people that do use AC replace it frequently).

I would get a package of the second picture which will be your biological filtration, and then get a sponge that fits (probably another product they sell). The sponge would be your mechanical filtration that will grab all the debris that gets into the filter. If you have more space filter floss or another foam pad will just add a polishing step and another surface for bacteria to bind.

HTH

You may want to check my post here. It's in reference to Aquaclear style filters, but the media options are similar for Aquaclear and Eheim filters, and it gives an idea as to what each stage would do, and what combinations you may want to run.

7Enigma said:
A lot of us don't run AC. Only after using medications or when you have a bad smell (or if you have new driftwood that tints the tank). Otherwise it really is not needed, and its taking up a slot that could be used to house more bacteria (since most people that do use AC replace it frequently).

I would get a package of the second picture which will be your biological filtration, and then get a sponge that fits (probably another product they sell). The sponge would be your mechanical filtration that will grab all the debris that gets into the filter. If you have more space filter floss or another foam pad will just add a polishing step and another surface for bacteria to bind.

HTH

Where does the bad smell arise from? I mean, my tank always has an odor that smells like water that isn't as fresh as tapwater, but it's not really bad and I'd have to be standing over my tank with my nose right there to smell it. I never really considered removing my AC, which is probably needs to be replaced by now anyway. Maybe another place for ceramic rings is what I could use instead.

theotheragentm said:
7Enigma said:

HTH

Where does the bad smell arise from? I mean, my tank always has an odor that smells like water that isn't as fresh as tapwater, but it's not really bad and I'd have to be standing over my tank with my nose right there to smell it. I never really considered removing my AC, which is probably needs to be replaced by now anyway. Maybe another place for ceramic rings is what I could use instead.

Decaying matter, bacteria, fungus, algae (especially BGA!). Your AC has now turned into a biological filter. I don't see a reason to replace it with ceramic since both essentially do the same thing (lots of surface area for bacteria to bind).

7Enigma said:
Decaying matter, bacteria, fungus, algae (especially BGA!). Your AC has now turned into a biological filter. I don't see a reason to replace it with ceramic since both essentially do the same thing (lots of surface area for bacteria to bind).

Thanks. I figured as much. I don't have an algae problem at all fortunately. My tank is pretty clean, so I will just go ahead and leave teh filter as is for now.

Back
Top Bottom