Filter media needed for fishless cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregcuoz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just ran and grabbed a Fluval Fx5 canister filter for my 120 gal. The lady at the store told me it "comes with media". Well I got it home, no media. I am almost set to start my cycle but need to know if filter media is a must to start the cycle??

Also, I have 2 Penguin 350 HOB filters. They are used and was considering running at least 1, maybe both. Is this overkill? I also have used filters from the Penguins. If I dont use the penguins, is it beneficial to lay the filters in the water to help speed the cycle? There was no desease in the tank these used filters were used in.

Thanks

Put the media in the fx5 or run 1 or 2 of your other filters with your fx5. Don't just put the filter/sponge in the water. Let it run through either your new fx5 to help "seed" it. Or just run the other filters with your fx5. It will help speed up the cycle process.

It's not gonna hurt it at all. Just make sure the media doesn't dry out. You want to keep it wet.

I've done it to 2 of my tanks and one was almost instant cycle!!

Good luck!

It will speed the cycle a lot using those filters too! But you need media in the fx5 to really start the cycle, because there's nowhere for the bacteria to grow. The media is where it grows-plus, the filter isn't going to actually filter the water without media.

It will speed the cycle a lot using those filters too! But you need media in the fx5 to really start the cycle, because there's nowhere for the bacteria to grow. The media is where it grows-plus, the filter isn't going to actually filter the water without media.

Ok I kinda understand. But cant the FX5 filter simply from all the foam on each tray? Cant the bacteria grow on that alone? Im not sure I wanna run both HOB filters though. They will be rather loud with the tank in the living room. Cant I run both to cycle and once cyle is over, and the bacteria grows in the FX5, I can then disconnect the HOBs (1 or both)?

The bacteria will grow on the fx5's filter pad. They are really big and thick. That's all you really need. Seed by running the HOBs at the same time if you want. It speeds up the cycling process if the HOBs media has been wet during the transaction.

Do fish less cycle to save yourself the time and trouble. Ammonia at Ace hardware store is recommended.

The bacteria will grow on the fx5's filter pad. They are really big and thick. That's all you really need. Seed by running the HOBs at the same time if you want. It speeds up the cycling process if the HOBs media has been wet during the transaction.

Do fish less cycle to save yourself the time and trouble. Ammonia at Ace hardware store is recommended.

Thats what I was wondering. Will the filter pad hold enough bacteria? Appearently you say it will. Now, when do I add media? Whenever I want? or after the cycle is complete? I may be better off just waiting 1 more night to start the cycle and grab media tomorrow. If I add media before the cycle, how long will the media be good for? **** too many questions!!! :facepalm:

You will get all the needed bacteria on the pad (yes those fx5 pads are very large). The media just gives another place for them to live. I would start the cycle ASAP. Get other media for other purposes besides cultivating bacteria for ammonia and nitrite.

What media will you use?

You will get all the needed bacteria on the pad (yes those fx5 pads are very large). The media just gives another place for them to live. I would start the cycle ASAP. Get other media for other purposes besides cultivating bacteria for ammonia and nitrite.

What media will you use?

OMG T, I have to do some research on media. My stock will consist mostly, if not all semi aggressive. Angels, bala shark, Discus, etc. Any suggestions on media?

I grabbed 2 300 watt heaters as well. Im covered up to 86 degrees. Ill position both in seperate ends to get the best result. Also got 1 digital thermometer and a "mercury" type thermom. Ill keep them on seperate ends as well. Got an AGI master test kit and silk plants. Only thing left is to grab some pure ammonia and a good dechlorinator. Im hearing Seachem prime is the "best". Is that good for Freshwater?

Yes prime is good. Get a small bottle. If you really get committed to this hobby, then buy a gallon sized bottle after using up all the small bottle.

IMO you don't really need any media. Fresh water is pretty easy. Cycle the tank, put in decor, add fish, feed daily, then do weekly water changes. Then it gets interesting when you stock the tank. People like real plants, but you can think about that later.

Yes prime is good. Get a small bottle. If you really get committed to this hobby, then buy a gallon sized bottle after using up all the small bottle.

IMO you don't really need any media. Fresh water is pretty easy. Cycle the tank, put in decor, add fish, feed daily, then do weekly water changes. Then it gets interesting when you stock the tank. People like real plants, but you can think about that later.

Yea, The way I figured it, I can research plants later. My biggest issue is having a 2 foot deep tank so I need special lighting. I already am over $1000 deep right now. Last thing I wanna do is reach for another 500 on lighting and plants. I still have to by fish for Gods sake. I went sand for substrate. I think Im very good on filtration and heaters. I have a power head and some have told me I dont need bubblers since I have a power head. Im cycling then stocking. Ill worry about live plants down the road.

Back
Top Bottom