Filter media question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazi8

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I'm planning to get the Aqua Clear 20 gallon filter and I don't want to use the carbon filter. I've seen people mentioned about using two sponges + biomax filter.

I am wondering what they mean by two sponges? Are they using the same kind of sponges or different type (coarse vs medium etc)? Any recommendation of sponge that I should get?

Should I consider using filter floss? If so, do I need to soak with the tank water before placing it to the filter slot?

Thanks!

Firstly, why do you not want to use carbon?

I have an Aqua Clear 50. I used 1 sponge and a bag filled with carbon. When I first got it I used the biomax that came with the filter, but once it was done I never replaced it. I find with the carbon it the carbon doesn't have to be changed very often. I originally did 2 sponges and carbon, but I found that if I didn't clean the sponges often enough, or was late on cleaning them the sponges would start to lift and overflow the filter causing an overflow of water onto the floor.

I order my sponges from eBay. I just look up foam filter pads, generic works perfectly for me. I would suggest pads over floss, cleaning is so much easier. I just take the sponge out, run it underwater, and squish it until the water comes mostly clean. I bought 12 2 years ago, and I still have 5 unused ones.

When I replace my sponges I rinse it under warm water to clean off any dirt and then dunk it in the tank for a few seconds to get the tank water into it then put it in my filter.

I also clean my sponges once a week, different day from when I do my water change.

I hope this helps. :)

Just use sponges or plastic pot scrubbies. Carbon is only needed to remove medications or smells from the water. Like said above, easy to clean, last forever and only need cleaning every 4-5 months or so.

Back
Top Bottom