Filter of Doom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reaper216

Aquarium Advice Activist
Contrary to popular belief, and possibly defying several laws of freshwater aquariums, my tank is doing well. I never cycled my tank prior to adding fish but were moving along great.

A problem has suddenly come up, and its killing my fish!! The suction head on my filter. Its a Marineland Penguin 200, and the fish keep swimming up next to it (I assume) and are held on until I get home from work and find them trapped.

Is this something fish do out of curiosity? Its mainly the flat? fish. The black fin tetras especially.

Any suggestions?

Buy a pre-filter sponge to fit over the intake tube, I had the same problem with my Penguin 200. Fluval has a pre-filter sponge that's pretty inexpensive...

A pre-filter is a good idea, but I'd suspect that you have another problem going on. Healthy fish don't get sucked to filter intakes. How long has the tank been set up and have you tested the water?

Tanks been up for about a month and I get my water checked at lfs twice a week now. They say everything looks great.

How can it be? You didnt cycle your tank so have nothing to break down waste so ammonia must be there.. so theyre lying or youve been skipping tests, dont you have you own test kit?

I dont have my own test kit ... Im gonna go with theyre lying. I just got back from my lfs and got another water test done and I was right on top of the girl and some of the test areas on the strip didnt match any colors at all.

There ya go. They're not necessarily lying, they're just wrong because they are using a notoriously inaccurate test. It would probably be worth it for you (in time and frustration) to get your own liquid reagent kit. They are much more reliable than strips.

Agreed they are much more reliant. I had strips said nitrates were 15. Then borrowed a friend and the were close to 80. I got on top of that quick.

I would get the whole kit other wise you will not have the oh test and it is cheaper.

API master test kit is what many aquarium hobbyist use. $20-$25 to make sure you are giving your fish a healthy and happy environment is worth the investment. It's peace of mind for you also that the levels are within good values and in the case something is a little off you will know before it gets really bad.

The real question is, Is the filter catching the fish and they die, or are they dying and the filter simply collects the bodies? I had a few neons that met this fate

Back
Top Bottom