Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klsbetta

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, what is a good way to lessen the strength of a filter flow? The filter I have is too strong for my betta.

Depends on what you have. Sure others can chime in on this. I have the fluval 305 canister and there is a lever that you can raise to reduve the flow of water. Not sure if any of the HOB filters have the adjustment. The 305 is good up to 70 gallons. I am running it on a 55 gallon tank. I keep it running at full speed.

This one is just the HOB top fin power filter that comes with their 5 gal kit. I can't find any adjustment knobs or anything, so I'm guessing I have to improvise. Which is what I've done already, I cut the top and bottom off of a water bottle, cut a slit all the way through it, and attached it to the little water flow slot. It's effective, but I'm paranoid that chemicals will leech into the water!

The water bottle method is a pretty common way to baffle an HOB. I wouldn't worry about chemicals getting in the water since it only contained water.

I have a sponge going down the spillway to baffle mine. It works well and you can't even tell it's there.

Oh, a sponge sounds much better than the water bottle! I'll definitely set that up tomorrow. Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom