filter/sump i dunno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob28

Aquarium Advice Freak
so im reading alot of different posts and i see folks talkin bout sumps and filters and such.

whats the difference?

my 55 gal was purchased as a kit that came with its own lil filter box. Are there better options?

links would be great

thanks

you dont need a sump in a FW tank most use them in SW even then some do not.

You just need good filtration/water movement, the filter that came with your kit is know as a HOB(hang on back) filter. The manufacturers specs on filters are over rated so it would be a good idea to add another filter to your tank.

Many prefer "canister" filters on larger tanks, so thats up to you.

add a second filter of the same type are a different one all together?

k...

sorry for my ignorance but do i upgrade or get a second filter

First, what filter came with your tank? If you're not sure, could you take a picture of it and we'll help you identify it.

Here are some reviews of HOB filters: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=14

Here are some reviews of Canister filters: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=15

Read some of these reviews. You'll want something that is rated for 55g or higher whether you use one or two.

thank you sooo much!! this clears up alot but brings up more questions too.
it looks like canister filters are placed out side of the tank on the ground or in the stand. what are the advantages or disadvantages.

Also, which are most people using and why.

You are correct, canister filters sit on the ground or inside the stand below the tank. The advantages of them are that they are much more efficient for cleaning your tank and they hold much more media than a HOB.

HOB filters work just fine for most tanks with a normal bioload and no special requirements.

I use canister filters on my tanks. Mainly because my tanks are planted or heavily bio-loaded, and they just work a ton better IMO. A bit pricey, though.

here is a list of my fish and based on that, would you recommend a canister?

3 - diamond tetra
3 - lemom tetra
3 - minor tetra
2 - tiger barb
6 - albino tiger barb
3 - green tiger barb
2 - blue gourami
4 - crab
3 - iridescent shark

all of the fish are 1 inches or under except for the iridesent sharks which are 3 inches, and the blue gouramis are 3-4 inches

future fish will be an emporer placo and a fire eel

oh yeah.....the tank plants are all fake, and its a 55 gal

Well 1st off, the Tetra's would prefer to be in larger groups like 5-6 but if they swim together they should be OK

The shark will get big, up to 4' and will need a 200gallon tank minimum or much more
Iridescent Shark Catfish, Pangasius Catfish
Fish Profile for Iridescent Shark, Pangasius Catfish (Pangasius hypophthalmus, Pangasianodon hypophthalmus, Helicophagus hypophthalmus)

Crabs will try and eat any fish they can catch, many of them are brackish, and most are not fully aquatic so they need some type of land or something to get out of the water

I think your already mostly stocked at this point as when the fish grow your tank will be packed

3 - diamond tetra
3 - lemom tetra
3 - minor tetra
2 - tiger barb
6 - albino tiger barb
3 - green tiger barb
2 - blue gourami
4 - crab
3 - iridescent shark

all of the fish are 1 inches or under except for the iridesent sharks which are 3 inches, and the blue gouramis are 3-4 inches

future fish will be an emporer placo and a fire eel

oh yeah.....the tank plants are all fake, and its a 55 gal

You have fish already? Did you cycle the tank? How long have you had the fish? Is the filter set up on the 55g?

I always like to help a Chicago Friend even thou I am on the Salty side of Things...LOL... But I would recommend the Fluval 405 or the 305 they work awesome also a few FW folks like the RENA canister filter..... Either way they both work great you choose just our recommendations unless someone has any other canisters they would recommend.....:silly:

But here is a Link of this one

Well 1st off, the Tetra's would prefer to be in larger groups like 5-6 but if they swim together they should be OK

The shark will get big, up to 4' and will need a 200gallon tank minimum or much more
Fish Profile for Iridescent Shark, Pangasius Catfish (Pangasius hypophthalmus, Pangasianodon hypophthalmus, Helicophagus hypophthalmus)

Crabs will try and eat any fish they can catch, many of them are brackish, and most are not fully aquatic so they need some type of land or something to get out of the water

I think your already mostly stocked at this point as when the fish grow your tank will be packed

the sharks, teacup stingray, and fire eel are going in the 220 gal

and all the tetras swim as a school

yes...i know exactly what im into with the shark
oh, according to the pet store that i got them from....they are fully aquatic and they reassured me that they wont eat my fish. they only scavenge from the bottom of the tank.

You have fish already? Did you cycle the tank? How long have you had the fish? Is the filter set up on the 55g?

this tank is already a month and a half old.

yes, tank is cycled

i was just feeling like i need a better filter due to how many fish i have

I just got a Fluval 304 for my 55G and its a good filter, many people will say that the Rena Filstar and Eheim canisters are better.

I was planning getting a 40G tank, but ended up with a 55G, so I should have gotten a Fluval 404. The 04 models are the older models and can be had cheap on ebay

I just got a Fluval 304 for my 55G and its a good filter, many people will say that the Rena Filstar and Eheim canisters are better.

I was planning getting a 40G tank, but ended up with a 55G, so I should have gotten a Fluval 404. The 04 models are the older models and can be had cheap on ebay

cool, thanks for the heads-up

Back
Top Bottom