filter upgrade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Rexx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!

I currently have a 60 gallon freshwater tank. I am running a marineland penguin 350 bio wheel. I believe the filter runs up to a 70 gallon tank? Anywho, I just bought a 90 gallon tank I don't know whether to buy another bio wheel filter, and have 2 filters running? or if I should buy a canister? I'm not to concerned with money I just want my fish to be healthy.

May I suggest running a canister in the same size class as a Fluval 406 and an HOB the same size class as an Aquaclear 70 or Fluval C4. The canister gives you the most filtration while the HOB helps keep surface film under control by breaking it up and also providing surface swirling for good gas exchange. Also you can rotate cleanings for optimum BB performance and have a back up in case one goes down for any reason. OS.

May I suggest running a canister in the same size class as a Fluval 406 and an HOB the same size class as an Aquaclear 70 or Fluval C4. The canister gives you the most filtration while the HOB helps keep surface film under control by breaking it up and also providing surface swirling for good gas exchange. Also you can rotate cleanings for optimum BB performance and have a back up in case one goes down for any reason. OS.

I never thought of running both! Thats brilliant. Thank you! If I were to have a planted aquarium in the future, would these same filters would be ok?

+1 with Mebbid. I've run this dual filter set up on a heavily planted Dutch style aquarium. It involves lots of tall stem plants. I made a flow baffle from a 1 ltr bottle's center section for the HOB. OS.

Back
Top Bottom