Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisshboy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all been reading a lot on here but heres my first post,

How much is too much filtration? Is 2000l/ph in a 200l overkill?
Iv read that peoples views on overstocked isnt always true if the tank is heavily filters and maintained well is this true?

Many thanks

Fisshboy

It really depends on the fish you are planning on keeping. Don do better in a lot of flow and some do better with not so much.

With stocking I don't think the filters really have a lot to do with it but it does play a role. You wouldn't want to take a fish that gets bigger or the same size as the tank. But having a little more then what should be there with fish that are only going to get a couple inchs. Isn't really frowned upon if the filteration is at resonable size.

Thanks for the reply Andy that puts me at ease a bit

My stocking list is

2 clown pleco
11 tiger barb
4 sterbai cory
20 tetra
5 angelfish (waiting for 2 to pair then getting rid of other 3)
8 marbled hachetfish
1 bala shark (going to a bigger tank soon)
2 golden algae eater (also bigger tank soon)
6 amano shrimp
3 black molly & 2 fry
3 platty
3 glass catfish

The only thing that is fully grown is 1 of the molly all the others are below 1" apart from the pleco's

Will this be okay with the 10x water volume turnover per hour?

Many thanks

Fisshboy

Tank Filtration

Hi all been reading a lot on here but heres my first post,

How much is too much filtration? Is 2000l/ph in a 200l overkill?
Iv read that peoples views on overstocked isnt always true if the tank is heavily filters and maintained well is this true?

Many thanks

Fisshboy

Hello Fish...

Tank filtration is really simple if you can do a little math. Your tank requires a filter or filter(s) with a gallon per hour (gph) rating 6 times the volume of your tank in gallons.

If you have a 30 gallon tank, your filtration needs a gph of 180. 6 times 30 is 180.

If you do large, weekly water changes, you don't need more filtration than this, because the filter is just turning over water that's already clean.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Hello Fish...

Tank filtration is really simple if you can do a little math. Your tank requires a filter or filter(s) with a gallon per hour (gph) rating 6 times the volume of your tank in gallons.

If you have a 30 gallon tank, your filtration needs a gph of 180. 6 times 30 is 180.

If you do large, weekly water changes, you don't need more filtration than this, because the filter is just turning over water that's already clean.

B

I would agree to this for most tropical fish aquariums. In my oscar grow out tank i am running a turnover of about 13x. but then we are talking about some of the dirtiest fish out there. I also do 2 60% water changes per week to keep the nitrates as low as possible.

Hello Fish...

B

Really the turnover rate you need depends on the stocking level of your tank and the efficiency of your filter. Even on my moderately stocked 29 gallon I have 11 x hour turnover rate with HOB filters. With canister filters, it is said that you don't need as high of a turnover rate, since canisters clean so much better. I think the 10 x hour turnover rate in this case is fine. The only problem I see is that angels don't particularly care for that much current, so the trick will be to create a few docile spots in the tank while getting good circulation. You can never have too much filtration, you CAN have too much flow (y)

Back
Top Bottom