Filtration for a 75g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Narook25

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there, I am about to upgrade from 2 heavily planted medium (20L & 29g) sized tanks to a large (75g) tank. I am planning on utilizing everything from the smaller 2, to set up the larger 1. This way I get to keep as much good bacteria as possible, plus it's more cost effective.

Will have 4 smaller sponges and a hang on back filter, would these be enough for filtration/oxygenation, or should I get a couple larger filters to carry the size of the tank? Would I need to look into power heads, or bubble walls?

I don't want to lose the bacteria from the smaller filters, 1 because they've been going for a good 2 years now, and 2 it would mean I wouldn't have to wait for the tank to cycle fish less.

All advice is appreciated.

If you wanted new filters, you can simply transfer all the media into the new filters, then the tank is instantly cycled.

Or run all the old ones, and maybe get a power head for added circulation.

Definitely go with a canister filter. This was also a recommendation from my local expert.
Will do a much better job in the long run.

Well, I’ve had both canister and wet/dry filters and I very much prefer the wet/dry. Wet/dry are much easier to clean and maintain and do a far better job of filtering, in my experience. The downside is the initial expense. I have 16 tanks either tied together or separately on wet/dry filters and I can clean every one of the filters in less than 10 minutes and the water is sparkling clean. I found canisters annoying to clean. But, whatever works for you.

I've tried HOB on my 75 gallon. I wound up switching to a couple canister filters. So much easier. Quieter too. I did 2 cuz I over-filter like crazy, but one designed for a 75g or the next size up should be fine if you don't stock too heavily, especially with the plants.

Really don't need a sump for fresh water, just my 2 cents..

A good HoB such as the Marineland emperor 400 with good filter media would be enough plus a sponge filter or two. If you have the income you could always upgrade to a canister filter which would really be the best choice. Something to remember, you want a filter that'll turn your water over at least 4 times an hour, so with 75 gallons you'd want something that'll do at least 300 GPH. if you were to load up a fresh filter with all your current media you wont have to worry about cycling. I'd even go as far as taking all the water from your two smaller tanks, fill the 75 with that, them dose with prime and top off with fresh tap water and you'd be all set for fish. I would definitely add beneficial bacteria once you have the 75 up and running, when you add more fish and with a bigger tank, you'll have a heavier bio load so you'll need to adjust accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom