Filtration problem in 30" deep (top to bottom!) aquariu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownBullhead

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had a major issue with my 150-gallon, 48" x 24" footprint, 30" deep (top to bottom!) aquarium. A LOT of debris is accumulating in various corners and areas around the substrate. I run a Rena Filstar xP3 *and* 3 HydroSponge #3 sponge filters, but upon water change there is TONS of debris about the water. I even pilfered two of the outtake extensions from another xP3 thinking if the tube reached closer to the substrate that more debris would be removed; this was unsuccessful.

This tank is NOT drilled nor is there a sump. The retailer who sold me the aquarium has the EXACT SAME TANK on his counter at his shop and he also uses external canister (or similar) filtration, no sump or complicated plumbing but his substrate remains clear and free of debris.

I can't return to ask him how it works though as we had a major dispute several months back and I am pretty much persona non grata at his shop.

Anyway... HELP!?

I have the exact same tank that you do for the Africans. LOL Isn't it a PAIN to do gravel vacs unless you have an extender on the vac?

I have never tried this, but we are going to set it up after the next move when we can get all the sand and decor out of the tank. Under Gravel Jets are supposed to eliminate the settling of fish waste in dead areas of the tank. Here's an article about it from Cichlid Forum. I've heard that it's simple to put together. I just don't feel like having my arms in the tank with the Africans at the same time. They like to nip.

I had a similar problem in my 55 (48"x13"x20"). It's heavily decorated with large river rock and plants, so the crud would pile up in the valleys, nooks, and crannys. I installed a 350gpm powerhead to shoot along the length of the tank for about three hours per day. It helped tremendously, but the first couple days were tense as the tank clouded heavily during powerhead operation.

CGGorman: So where does one install a powerhead? I've never even seen one! 8O Is the "nozzle" or whatever adjustable? I have a sand substrate so this may be something to keep in mind?

you can get submersible powerheads--i have a couple of marineland penguins myself. basically it has an intake similar to a canister filter, and an adjustable "outflow". it also has a venturi plug that you can either remove to create bubbles and increased surface agitation, or leave in to cut down on surface agitation. you can suction it anywhere on the glass and point the outflow in whichever direction you want to.

very handy for creating cross currents in a tank. as devilishturtles and cggorman both said, you can position the powerhead near the bottom of your tank, and aim it across the gravel to move the "crud" towards the filter. you can also put it on a timer in case your fish don't happen to like strong currents.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/Power,head/Class//T1/F64AX+0062+0156/EDP/18099/Itemdy00.aspx
That is a power head. And If all you need is something to create some current to keep the debris out of the corners 100GPH is fine, 350 would create a fairly strong current in your tank along with any kind of filter (sponge or canister). And you might want to consider your fishes like and dislikes for that. My tiger barbs don't care and like a current in the tank, but discus and angles might not like it.

Yeah... I've got Giant Danios that love the current, so that's not an issue for me. I run mine with the aerator installed to help keep CO2 and O2 balanced, but I only run it during mid-day so that my nocturnal Pleco and little Corys get a rest.

I ended up going with the Hagen AquaClear 110 (power head) and it seems to be doing the job very well. I've also become a bit more conscientous about maintenance and using filter floss inside my xP3 filter now. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Powerheads are great, have you thought of maybe an airstone in the corners? they can create a good enough flow for what you need.

Back
Top Bottom