Filtration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InxayonFinland

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm doing a fake planted 29 gallon with pebbled rock for the bottom. I'm wondering if an undergravel filtration with a canister filter would be best since i dont know if i'm going to have any cory's or not or just a canister filter. What should i do?

A canister filter migt be overkill for a 29 gallon tank, but perhaps not for a smaller one. However, I am curious as to why you would want two filtration setups (UGF and canister) on one tank. Also, I recommend staying away from undergravel filters, as they can mess up on you and are generally inefficient. Have you tried looking at some powerfilters?

ok thanks.

HannahJ - I was thinking the undergravel because it would hopefully suck up any deterius/uneaten food since I dont know if i'll be getting any bottom feeders.

The canister filter I'm thinking of getting is the ECCO Canister Filter 2231 rated for 35 gallons. I have a power filter on my 29 now that i'm fixing to take down and it isn't that great plus i've heard canisters do awesome jobs.

Skip the UGF. Gravel vacing gets rid of the uneaten food and fish waste. I'd go with the canister. They are by far my fav.

Skip the undergravel. If you use one you'll have dead spots anywhere you've got a plant or a decoration, plus the detritus will just build up in the gravel. I'd go with a simple HOB power filter.

On my 29 gal I have an HOB and a cannister. Heavy stocking makes this practical for me. Cannisters do a better job of cleaning the water in my opinion.

No need for both UGF and canister. The UGF won't really suck in and hide all the uneaten food, it will kinda collect near the surface and decay, the decayed stuff kinda collects under your UGF. Your mid and top feeders will feed off the bottom if there is uneaten food there, but bottom feeders are way more efficient at it. Since you can get all the filtration you need in a HOB or a canister, I see no reason to use an UGF since they can collect some serious amounts of muck under them, and they are impossible to clean without seriously disturbing the tank. But they do make your substrate more efficient surface area for bacteria due to the water flow through the substrate, and they do work.

What about connecting the canister filter to the uplift tube of the UGF, thereby using the gravel as a pre-filter? Would need a line spliter so you can have a standard strainer as well.

I have a ten gallon with two of the cheapy whisper power filters. One connected to the uplift tube and the other just filtering the water like normal. Works great.

I recently purchased a 29 gallow tank as well and I'm not happy with power filter it came with, or power filters in general. I'm thinking about setting it up like the ten gallow but using a canister instead of power filters.

Anyone else do anything like this? I remember seeing 55 gallon setups with UGFs with a powerhead attached to one uplift and a canister connected at the other end.

I use an Eheim Classic 2215 on my 29g and it keeps the water crystal clear and is very easy to maintain.

Back
Top Bottom