Filtration question for a 60 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taiken5968

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I I will be setting up a 60 gallon tank it will be a few months or maybe over a year before I move and set it up I have two filters that I plan to use for it and I want to know if it will be enough. Here is the type of fish I plan to have.

Gourami
Pictus cat
Red glass barbs
Tiger barbs
Kulih loaches.

I don't know how many of each yet. I will be moving from my current 29, and I plan to add a few more as time passes.

Here are the filters.
Aqua-Tech 20-40=160gph
Aqua-Tech 30-60=330gph
My total gallon per hour would be 490. Now that I am doing the math I can see that the recommended amount is 300 gph. I have more filtration than needed, but I do plan on being overstocked, according to that silly 1 inch per gallon rule.

I also want to know if I should place the filters at opposite ends of the tank, in the middle,all to one end, or does it even matter?

I think I have everything in check, but I always like to hear other people's input. I'd Luke to add a new type of fish and I would also like suggestions on what will go well with my current stock.

Hello.

From one 60 gallon owner to another, let me offer some insight...I am unsure about those AquaTech filters you're referencing (are those the Walmart brand filters?) but on my 60 gallon tall stocked with four fancy goldfish, I run an AquaClear 110 (500 GPH) and an Aqueon QuietFlow 55 (325 or so GPH), so I am turning over more than 800 gallons per hour based on these "claimed" rates by the companies (it's never exactly what they say, especially once you start stuffing media into the filters)...running these two HOBs has kept this tank crystal clear nearly from day one, but keep in mind I AM keeping goldfish, which require heavier filtration than most freshwater species, even though I'm not overstocked or overcrowding the tank...

That said, I think the idea of two filters on a tank this size (60 gallon) is the way to go, and you should place one on one end and one on the other for good circulation; but I would look into something different than these "AquaTech" filters you're mentioning...

I agree.
I'd have been happy running my two smaller AquaClears on my 50G if they weren't too small to hang over the back of my tank (the black rim is too thick). As it is, i had to buy an Aquaclear 70. It's enough filtration, but one side definitely has more current than the other before it disperses.

IMO, on tanks, say, 50 gallons and larger, two filters are the way to go (and more if the tank starts to get really huge, and you have the option to hang a few off the back)...;)

Tank Filtration

Hello Tai...

You've got too much filtration for a 60 gallon tank. All you need is a filter or combination of filters, placed at opposite ends of your tank that will turn over 4 times the tank's volume or 240 gph.

Many tank keepers over filter their tanks, but filters only take in toxic tank water and replace it with water that's slightly less toxic. The dirty water has to be removed and replaced with pure, treated tap water.

You really only need the filters to move the surface of the water enough for proper gas exchange, mixing oxygen with the water and allowing carbon dioxide to escape.

If you commit to an aggressive water change routine and replace half the tank water weekly, you'll guarantee stable water conditions for your fish and plants and save money on high end filtration. You'll use a bit of water, but it's very cheap and your fish and plants will be much healthier.

Just a thought.

B

Hello,
The gph on a filter is never the same due to the media. Usually, the gph is lowered by up to 20 percent just from the media. A turnover rate of 10 times the water volume is ideal for most fish. I used to run maybe 20 times the water flow in a bigger tank:)
Anyways, the minimum would be 5 times the turnover rate while calculating the actual gph and not the powerhead intake gph.:)

Many tank keepers over filter their tanks, but filters only take in toxic tank water and replace it with water that's slightly less toxic.

I'm not 100-percent certain I agree, wholeheartedly, with that assertion and analysis; yes, filters take in toxic water, but I do believe they return cleaner loads of water that are more sanitary and good for the fish than just being "slightly less toxic"...

The dirty water has to be removed and replaced with pure, treated tap water.

Now THAT is true. Indeed, filtering by itself isn't enough; there must be a stringent water change schedule to replace nutrients, buffers and elements the fish need from clean, fresh water supplies.

You really only need the filters to move the surface of the water enough for proper gas exchange, mixing oxygen with the water and allowing carbon dioxide to escape.

It is my understanding that aquarium filters do a LOT more than just that...

If you commit to an aggressive water change routine and replace half the tank water weekly, you'll guarantee stable water conditions for your fish and plants and save money on high end filtration.

A couple of Aqueons or AquaClears aren't really "high end filtration" IMO, especially if they can be had on sale, but the weekly water change regiment is very important -- in fact, I like to change water more than once a week, doing a smaller partial change before the weekly 50% is due...:hide:

Hello,
The gph on a filter is never the same due to the media. Usually, the gph is lowered by up to 20 percent just from the media. A turnover rate of 10 times the water volume is ideal for most fish. I used to run maybe 20 times the water flow in a bigger tank:)
Anyways, the minimum would be 5 times the turnover rate while calculating the actual gph and not the powerhead intake gph.:)

From an earlier post of mine:

From one 60 gallon owner to another, let me offer some insight...I am unsure about those AquaTech filters you're referencing (are those the Walmart brand filters?) but on my 60 gallon tall stocked with four fancy goldfish, I run an AquaClear 110 (500 GPH) and an Aqueon QuietFlow 55 (325 or so GPH), so I am turning over more than 800 gallons per hour based on these "claimed" rates by the companies (it's never exactly what they say, especially once you start stuffing media into the filters)...running these two HOBs has kept this tank crystal clear nearly from day one, but keep in mind I AM keeping goldfish, which require heavier filtration than most freshwater species, even though I'm not overstocked or overcrowding the tank...

(y)

I have never had a problem with the aqua tech filter in my 29. If I have a problem in my 60 with then, I will use a fluval that I bought second hand. I think it is for a 50 to 60. I got it at a yard sale with a 10 gallon. I bet the people who owned it didn't know it was way too big.

I also want to ask a question. How long does it take filter media to grow bacteria. I want to put a unused filter media in a filter, and clean the other one. I plan to run the new media in another filter until it gains it's bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom