Fin Nippers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jadedrain_06

Aquarium Advice Regular
I think we are going to have a community tank with fancy guppies and other friendly fish. What are some types I should stay away from to protect my guppies beautiful fins? Also I heard corys are very friendly but would guppies pick at them?

I've never had any issues between cories and guppies. Cories really will never bother anyone IME. I would avoid bettas and mollies. That's not to say their isn't bettas and mollies out there that would be fine with guppies, but I have had experience with mollies nipping guppies, and bettas you want to avoid mixing with flowing fins in general. Some killifish will tear into fish with flowing fins, so use caution if you are interested in any killies. Of course there are many larger fish that could harm the guppies, but assuming this is a smaller aquarium, that's what I can think of to avoid.

My rummynose tetras are really peaceful, as are my white cloud mountain minnows. I think you could add them successfully.

I agree that the corys won't care about the guppies and the guppies won't care about the corys.

Avoid serpae, "skirt", and any like shaped tetras with guppies.

I agree about corys. I have also kept mine with torpedo shaped tetras like rummies and its been fine. Otos are good too. Of course, the tank size determines the tankmates. Kuhli loaches have been fine IME too.
I agree wiht what HN1 said. I am going to add tiger barbs to the list of general no-no's to be with guppies.

Back
Top Bottom