Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Finally! API master test kit results, fish less cycle

I finally received my API freshwater master test kit today in the mail. My fish tank has been up and running for about 7 days now. Initially I added dechlorinator/conditioner as well as one dose of bacteria supplement. I also added finely crushed fish flakes to the water twice about 4 days apart from each other. I tested the tap water I was using and got reading like this...
Tap water
Ph 7-7.2
High ph gold pee color (not on chart)
Ammonia 0.25 or less very yellow little green
NitriteNO2- 0 ppm robin egg blue
Nitrate NO3- 0 ppm bright yellow

I then tested the water in my tank for the same things and got these numbers.
Ph dark blue
High ph purple brown right around 8.2
Ammonia 0.25 ppm light green
Nitrite NO2- 0 ppm robin egg blue
Nitrate NO3- less than 5ppm bright yellow. Indicates 0 ppm

I could not get a accurate ph reading because it was dark blue not a color on the comparison sheet. However after doing the high ph I did get a number on the scale. Is it acceptable does it need to be higher or lower? Can I add fish??? I just want fish!!!! If not am I close, what additional steps should be taken. I never went out and got ammonia because this test kit took forever and a day to get here but hopefully I'm not too far out of the water. Any input would be great. Thanks!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you want to fishless cycle(way easier and less dangerous to fish) you have to get the ammonia and it will take a while. If you want to do a fish-in cycle, you could add a few fish, very few. And be prepared to do daily water changes for a while. Don't mess with your pH. It's fine. You just want it stable. Either way, the cycling process takes time(weeks). Fishless is a lot less work. If however you know someone with an established tank, who will share some used filter media with you, things will go a lot faster.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...de-176446.html

If you haven't already, please read those articles. They are very informative. It took me 5-6 weeks with some seeded material to cycle my first tank. So I know you want to add fish, but if you want to do a fishless cycle you have a while to go. It would be good to buy a bottle of ammonia if doing a fishless cycle. If you want to do a fish-in cycle, you better be prepared to do endless pwcs. you will probably need to do at least one per day. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Look It Up

If the PH test is the highest on the chart (blue) use the high PH test. Without an ammonia source the tank can't cycle, so the cycle hasn't started yet. Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
api, cycle, fish, test, test kit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com