Finally...CYCLED!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterSean

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's finally here, after a long 8 weeks, several mistakes along the way and much frustration. The tank is cycled!!
I've had 0 ammonia and Nitrites for 3 days and was anxious to add some new members to the tank.
Yesterday we picked up 3 glow fish( Danios) 2 rainbow threadfin and 1 bristlenose pleco. They join the 5 white clouds already in the tank and everyone seems happy!
My advice to anyone who is starting out is be patient. ( although not the easiest for me!!) This forum has helped me a lot the way, thanks to everyone who has helped me out, the beginning stages are very challenging at times but the end result is so rewarding!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390150418.319133.jpg

As a matter of fact I am having a party! It will be in about 2-3 weeks. Bring a truck and some dollies! Oh and be prepared for a workout!! Lol

Nitrates are fine, was actually reading 40 in that photo. Not pooping on my party but thanks for the concern.

Well you should still get nitrates down below 20, especially for new fish. They are under enough stress already, and 40 is certainly less than ideal.

Really? So 40 is too high?? Hmmm. Everywhere I've read on here 40 is fine, it's ideal to be no higher than 40 but shouldn't do any harm at that level. I've kept it there the entire cycle and fish are fine. I did do a small WC so they came down some but I really wish people would make up their minds on here! Very confusing for us new guys!!

Well yes, that is right that's what almost everyone says. But it's common sense that new fish will already be super stressed so why not decrease nitrate with a 20 minute water change? Plus they will be creating more nitrates soon so you should decrease it now.

Part of the reality of the internet is that it's a great source, but you don't get things that cut and dry. The real truth is, 40 is fine, but it's probably uncomfortable. My bolivian ram died when my nitrates spiked to 35. So for some fish is fine, but for some it isn't. That is why information varies. For most hardy fish, as long as it's under 30 they are fine, but I think 40 is starting to make them feel bad, and if it gets much over 40 than they can have permanent damage or die.

I mean, all I said was that 40 is less than ideal, and that is probably the general concensus for most fish.

I'll ask them next time I talk to my fish and see if they feel sick.
I monitor my water daily, probably more than I need so that I make sure my levels are good. Common sense? I have to disagree with that statement. I like most posting in this particular forum are new to the hobby so that statement is unfair. I follow the general opinions and operate my tank based on information provided and the overall appearance if my fish. If I see a spike I do what I need to do, if the fish seem "different", I make changes where needed. I pay CLOSE attention to my tank.
Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how the fish are feeling after I buy my API tropical fish doctor kit.

I'll ask them next time I talk to my fish and see if they feel sick.
I monitor my water daily, probably more than I need so that I make sure my levels are good. Common sense? I have to disagree with that statement. I like most posting in this particular forum are new to the hobby so that statement is unfair. I follow the general opinions and operate my tank based on information provided and the overall appearance if my fish. If I see a spike I do what I need to do, if the fish seem "different", I make changes where needed. I pay CLOSE attention to my tank.
Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how the fish are feeling after I buy my API tropical fish doctor kit.

Well I'm sorry if I offended you. Doesn't take a doctor to tell you're mad.

Seriously, calm down! What I meant was that fish would definitely be stressed from the move, and that it is best to keep nitrates low when adding new fish.

You sounded like you new what you were talking about and had done lots of research, so I thought that would seem obvious to you. I guess you should be flattered.

Besides, there is no need to act like I'm sticking my nose in your business. You said it yourself, you are new to the hobby and I thought you might want some advice.

My bad.

Back
Top Bottom