Finally did it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAGlocker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I admit it, I finally did it. Finally got those cute little dwarf puffers that I bought a month ago out of the QT tank, and put them in one of my main tanks. Man they are just so darn cute and fun to watch, and it seems like at times they sit there and watch me too....kinda makes you wonder what they are thinking..... lol but anyway, with them being so small, I have been feeding them mainly baby brine shrimp,a nd some krill that I crumble up real small. Anyone know of anything else I can feed to them, or will they get large enough to munch down on some snails at some point?

Thanks for the links. I see they do eat snails, now if only mine will grow and start eating some of them

Anyone know of anything else I can feed to them, or will they get large enough to munch down on some snails at some point?

You have snails? I just smash a snail or two against the glass, and drop it to the bottom. the puffs come runnin', so to speak, and chow down.

Mine will also take nips out of the foot of big snails as the snail tries to cruise along the glass or plants.

Also, no small snails show up in that tank anymore, they must eat all the babies too. The only snails left alive in my puff tank are big japanese trapdoor snails, with extensive damage to their feet from the puffers.

Man I have snails in every tank I have, cause I dont worry bout taking them off the plants when I buy them. So yeah I got snails....you want some? Big ones, small ones, medium size ones....I got more snails than I got gravel I think lol. But I love the snails too....slimin their way across the glass...at least until my loaches come out of QT...then they all better run and hide lol. I just wasnt sure if these small guys would actually get large enough to eat on them, but its all good.

I just wasnt sure if these small guys would actually get large enough to eat on them, but its all good.

Well they aren't going to get very big that's for sure. They top out at 1 inch or so!
...and put them in one of my main tanks

What other fish you have in there? even dwarf puffs are supposedly fin nippers. mine are in with one SAE, and they don't nip his fins at all.

Im actually putting them in a tank with some red tailed black sharks. So far they are each ignoring hte other fish. If they become a problem, I will just have to break out a 5 gal tank for the dwarfs and start it up. But im going to see how it works out untill then, just dont feel like starting a new tank up till I get moved, and have to plant the darn thing.

Sounds like a good plan. In your case, I'd prolly do the same thing, just keep an eye on things, make sure they behave.

Yeah I know. I just dont have to room right now for another tank,a nd I already have to tear down 10 of them of various sizes in the next month when I move. That is going to be a real pain, but lucky me, im moving to a house where I can set up whole rooms just for the tanks, plus the ones set around the house. Might actually get all of them set up and running, I hope. that way if I have problems with fish I can start doing species tanks.

Back
Top Bottom