Finally Finished Cycled !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dadandr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, my tank finally finished a fish cycle at about 6 weeks Yay! (I know... fairly typical time, but always seems longer due to all those PWC's ). I did not lose any fish. I have mainly guppies, two axelrods, 2 tetras, and one algae eater in a 20 gallon tank. My ammonia and nitrites are at 0 PPM, my nitrates are at 10 PPM, and my pH is 7.0. My question is, how often does everyone do a PWC change after their cycle finishes? I had planned on doing a 10-15% once a week just so I can vacuum any leftover food or waste out. Is this typical, or are there any other recommendations out there?

I do 50% PWC every 4-5 days. Part of it is because I know that cleaner water is better for my fish and part of it is that I like doing the maintenance.

Most people seem to say that 25% per week is good enough, especially if your aquarium is not heavily stocked. I say do it based on your water conditions. My aquariums reach 10ppm nitrate in 4 days so that is when I like to do a change.

I also do 50% every 5 days. Mainly due to my overstocking my tanks to some extent. Some of my tanks house very messy fish, ie: goldfish so I do water changes more often. I agree that you will decide what is best for your fish based on your parameters and stocking.

That a pretty light bio-load. 25% weekly should be adequate. If you have live plants though, you may have to increase the percentage to 50% weekly. That is basically what I do, religiously every Sunday.

I also have a 20 gallon tank, but is moderately planted.

Congrats on making it through the longest six weeks of your life (to me that time took forever!) and without any flushes!

Back
Top Bottom