Finally got around to painting my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowryder

Aquarium Advice Addict
I decided today that I wanted to paint my background black. I like the looks of the painted background with planted tanks. Also, would help show off my light colored fish.

Here are some before and after.

img_1132051_0_0adbf7d10e65bf64ba314affa2ecc76d.jpg

img_1132051_1_0a66c1a612de0940123cab2f33a55754.jpg

img_1132051_2_17edc2d06ad4d2f27d9e2d9fdb683eff.jpg

I have also added some java moss to the top of my slate cave.

Sorry if the water is cloudy, I did a pwc after I painted.

Edit: I just relized I posted this in the Getting Started section. Sorry.

Looks good! Could you possibly paint the PVC pipe black as well? Some krylon paint maybe? It kinda sticks out, but the tank looks AWESOME!

Looks nice. I love the way black backgrounds look, it really makes the plants/fish pop out a lot more and look a lot brighter. My tanks look really vibrant with black :)

I found out last weekend from an education progran at our reef club that painting the glass lowers the reflectivity of the glass and therefore the PAR.

it dows look better than the fake background

Funny. I never thouht a painted background was a huge improvement. Always saw pictures but until i did it myself i didnt really appreciate them. They look way better in person then in pics. Something i will always recommend now. Painted is the way to go.

If I had a steady hand I would try it, but not something I will attempt lol. I can see a mess there. I like the black backgrounds that just tape on or whatever. Either way, black really looks nice and really brings out the colors and makes everything more vibrant IMO :D

Steady hand isn't really required (much easier on an empty/new tank). I think most people just use spray paint, and you tape up pieces that you don't want paint on. When I painted mine, you just spray in the upwards direction, so you don't get any paint in the tank, and if you want tape the bottom. then do a coat every like 15 minutes or so, until it's opaque :)

+1 on the black background. I'm setting up a 29g and really wanted to paint it. But I chickened out on painting and ended up using 5% window tint film from the auto parts store. It's the type that uses static to cling to the glass.

I have a 3- paneled mirror behind and to the sides of my fish tank, so it reflects the fish, the coral, and all the light. I really like it that way, and u can see into the back of the tank better. Has anyone thought of that before? Putting a 3- paneled mirror in the back instead of a sheet or painting it?

Back
Top Bottom