Finally starting to fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColtsGuy77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello this was a more diy project then anything. Found a 55 gallon tank and stand off craigslist for dirt cheap. Tank and stand came really clean with some tlc. After water testing found a leak, ripped out the old put in the new and all holding. Running 2 aquaeon 30' s rated for 45 gallons apiece. 2 powerheads and a decent size heater to be replaced before cycling is over. Added seeded filter media to the new filters. Using half pfs and half black diamond sandblasting sand. Using ace brand ammonia. Aquascaping to be added during cycling. Any advice always welcome.

ForumRunner_20111023_173720.jpg

I'd recommend keeping the lights off and turning your heater up as high as it will go. Are you adding ammonia?

I dosed it up to 5ppm and am using ace brand ammonia, also the light was only on for the photo. Did not know about the temp though. Thanks allot

You need to do a small PWC to get your ammonia back down to 3-4ppm..... much above 4ppm is actually toxic to the bacteria you are attempting to grow. This is one of those cases where more is definitely not better.

In case you haven't seen it there's a link in my signature called "new empty tank." it's the fishless cycle guide and will tell you step-by-step what to do.

I don't think the light affects the cycle; there's some debate on it but I haven't seen any definitive studies. Bacteria tend to like dark though, so that could be why keeping the lights off is a good idea (turning them on once in a while to take a photo or do something in the tank is fine, just probably not leave them on all the time). Dosing ammonia to 5 is fine, just make sure it isn't much above that. When you get into higher doses it can stall the cycle, but I don't think there's that much difference between 4 and 5. It's hard to tell the difference in greens on the API kit if that's what you're using, so just be sure it isn't closer to the 8 mark.

Hholly said:
Does light affect the cycle?

During the initial stages of cycling when the beneficial bacteria is first entering the tank and is in the water column...it is susceptible to a certain wavelength of light (which I can't remember...I can try to find out). Once the bacteria adheres to a surface there is no risk to it any longer.

The main reason we recommend leaving the lights off is simply to avoid algae breakouts. The algae loves the ammonia and nitrAte rich environment created during cycling (just like plants do), and since there's no fish to look at anyway...you might as well avoid the algae and keep them off.

Last edited:
Currently still cycling, doing some aquascaping in the process. Found a buddha at petco to use as a centerpiece for the tank. Silconed some stones together. Next gonna make some coconut caves and add

ForumRunner_20111028_192000.jpg

plastic plants.

Doing some aquascaping during cycling, converted ammonia to .75 from 4 in 2 days when I checked a coupe hours ago. Dosed it back up to 4. Diy coconut cave,.driftwood, plastic plants, various stones.

ForumRunner_20111107_202216.jpg

ForumRunner_20111107_202254.jpg

Scored a python and a new heater from a buddy, score.

Really like the diy coconut caves made another with the other half last night will add after it dries, caves for the corys. Adding more plastic plants as well

My ammonia is dropping to 1 from 4 in about 2 days. How often should I do water changes I'm worried about stalling the cycle. (fishless)

What's your PH? PH drops are common during cycling and can hinder the process if they get too low. I'd check that first; post the result here if you can.

Checked ammonia at about 21 hours or so went down to 1, dosed back up to 4. Will check tom

Back
Top Bottom