Finished Cycling!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chirp

Aquarium Advice Activist
Started a fish in cycle 1/26/12 and finished 1/18/12 (24 days) with a 6gal Fluval Edge. I did the cycling with 2 dwarf Gouramis and 1 black skirt tetra. I'm new to keeping aquariums. I got into it because my son was learning about fish and the ocean at his school. Like other aquarium noobs, I didn't know what exactly I was getting into: get a fish and a bowl, feed the fish, and change the water. Boy was I wrong. After reading up, I got a suitable set up ,and started cycling.

During my cycling:
1. I change the water often. Sometimes twice a day.
2. I vacuumed the gravel to get rid of fish waste and plant material regularly.
3. When changing water, I used half tap water and half RO water. Originally I was using tap water, but LA tap water pH was 7.8+ (I wanted it a little lower for the plants), and really really hard. Also, LA water has a lot of calcium and lime. My RO water was pH 6.8, really soft, and the kH was really really low.
4. I used nutrifin cycle twice the first 2 days, but I don't know if that helped at all.

Some people told me that doing #1 and #2 would prolong my cycling time, but 24 days is pretty quick for a fish in cycle. Thanks everyone. :)

Chirp said:
Started a fish in cycle 1/26/12 and finished 1/18/12 (24 days) with a 6gal Fluval Edge. I did the cycling with 2 dwarf Gouramis and 1 black skirt tetra. I'm new to keeping aquariums. I got into it because my son was learning about fish and the ocean at his school. Like other aquarium noobs, I didn't know what exactly I was getting into: get a fish and a bowl, feed the fish, and change the water. Boy was I wrong. After reading up, I got a suitable set up ,and started cycling.

During my cycling:
1. I change the water often. Sometimes twice a day.
2. I vacuumed the gravel to get rid of fish waste and plant material regularly.
3. When changing water, I used half tap water and half RO water. Originally I was using tap water, but LA tap water pH was 7.8+ (I wanted it a little lower for the plants), and really really hard. Also, LA water has a lot of calcium and lime. My RO water was pH 6.8, really soft, and the kH was really really low.
4. I used nutrifin cycle twice the first 2 days, but I don't know if that helped at all.

Some people told me that doing #1 and #2 would prolong my cycling time, but 24 days is pretty quick for a fish in cycle. Thanks everyone. :)

Do you know that you are overstocked?

fishyperson3010 said:
Do you know that you are overstocked?

Yes. Unfortunately I don't what to do about. Since fish stores are in the business of selling fish, they don't tell you this until it's too late.

Back
Top Bottom