Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #1

Finished setting up 10 gal tank

Ok so I've set up my new tank. The bacteria have moved in and I have a betta in my ten gallon heated tank. Temp set at 78 degrees. Now. I saw somewhere that you are supposed to have a tablespoon full of salt per 10 gallons. Is this true? And what happens if I put sugar in my tank on accident? How would my fish react?

Old 09-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What are adding the salt for? I am not an expert but I think you only add the salt for brackish water fish or for ICH. About the sugar I don't know maybe someone else can answer that.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #3

It says on the container of salt that I bought that you can add one level table spoon of salt for ten gallons of water to reduce stress and condition the water
Old 09-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Personally I don't think you need to add salt to a freshwater tank other than for a treatment. They are freshwater fish after all. Others will have a different opinion though.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #5

Oh ok. Do you know what would happen if I spilled sugar into the aquarium? I ask because the ten gallon is set up on the counter in our kitchen and right above it is the cabinet where we keep coffee and other supplies like sugar.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo
Oh ok. Do you know what would happen if I spilled sugar into the aquarium? I ask because the ten gallon is set up on the counter in our kitchen and right above it is the cabinet where we keep coffee and other supplies like sugar.
Lol ok. I replied in your other thread. Does it have a lid? One of my betta tanks doesn't have one at the moment (stupid me dropped it) and I have a piece of cling wrap over the top until I get around to fixing the lid.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #7

Haha no lid for me I just got the tank
Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

You can buy a piece of acrylic to use as a lid to be on the safe side. It will also stop him from jumping out. I use a pics of second hand glass from a old tv cabinet on my 8g.

Tags
setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com