Finishing stages of setting up 10 Gallon – stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wiseguy222

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So it’s looking like the 10 gallon I set up is getting near the end of the cycle; though I have no source of pure ammonia so I can’t be 100% sure it can convert 3 or 4 ppm to 0 in 24 hours but my tap water does have dome ammonia it so I know it will take 1 or 2ppm down to .25 in about 24 hours. I’ve also had a bacteria bloom, a massive Nitrites spike that has since dropped to 0 and my Nitrates are hovering about 0-5ppm (the color from the API test seems to float between 0 and 5). I’ve been using Seachem Prime for water conditioner and went ahead and tried out the Seachem Stability to see if that did anything (seemed to help quite a bit), So I’m hopeful things are moving along and in a few weeks I’ll be ready for fish.

I knew going in that a 10 gallon would be rather limited stock wise and I was 100% ok with that. I really just wanted a smaller tank with a few fish to ease back into the hobby. Then I can go crazy after I move next year and get a 40+ Gallon tank!

So what would everyone suggest stock wise? It has a Fluval C2 HOB filter (which I have found is pretty awesome for a HOB), an Aqueon Pro 100W heater and a mix of silk and live plants. Live plant wise I have an Anubias Nana that seems to be doing well and I’m looking to snag a java fern if I can find a decent one. The substrate is jet black aquarium sand.

I was thinking a ‘centerpiece’ fish and then maybe a few smaller ones. For the centerpiece fish I was thinking a Betta or a single honey gourami or power blue dwarf gourami, though I know gouramis are general nowhere near as hardy as they were when I had them as a kid. The other smaller additions are where I get stumped. I’ve seen where people say pygmy corys do fine in a 10 gallon, I see other people who say that any corys in a 10 gallon are tantamount to animal abuse. Some say tetras, some so they could never make it in a 10 gallon. Shrimp are popular but I’d prefer to run out of options on fish before I turn to shrimp and I was thinking that have a few mid to bottom dwellers would complement having the gourami or Betta in the mid to upper parts of the tank.

So what say the experts? What would work got for a rather basic 10 gallon expert?

Maybe 3-6 scarlet badis. With 2 males am an 4 females? Pygmy rasborqs maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

@wiseguy222
I realize your post was over a year ago. However, I'm curious how did your 10 gallon setup turn out?

Back
Top Bottom