First 20 gallon fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did a 50% change ammonia .50 did another one ammonia between .5-.25. Having trouble keeping my temp stable with all the water changes.

I don't think you should have gotten all those fish. You are really overstocked and will have to do very constant water changes. Also you're still cycling so all the ammonia spikes will really compromise the health of your fish. IMO it was a bit irresponsible getting all those fish so soon.

I don't think you should have gotten all those fish. You are really overstocked and will have to do very constant water changes. Also you're still cycling so all the ammonia spikes will really compromise the health of your fish. IMO it was a bit irresponsible getting all those fish so soon.

Unfortunately that's how a lot of us start out. It sounds like she's aware of this however and already seems to be actively doing what she can to keep her fish alive until she can upgrade/rehome.

Unfortunately that's how a lot of us start out. It sounds like she's aware of this however and already seems to be actively doing what she can to keep her fish alive until she can upgrade/rehome.

That's true and that's responsible of her. I'm sorry I ignored that fact.

azmodan said:

Thank you. :) Ya took the words right out of my mouth. I am doing what I can to correct my wrong doings. I can't wait to get them a bigger home. I've enjoyed this more then I ever thought I would.

Thank you. :) Ya took the words right out of my mouth. I am doing what I can to correct my wrong doings. I can't wait to get them a bigger home. I've enjoyed this more then I ever thought I would.

That's good of you. A lot of people don't bother to get better homes for their fish. Keep working hard and all, if not most, of the fish should survive the cycling process.

Well i took on the responsibility when i took them home from the store, i plan on sticking it out. Plus i can't wait to get a bigger tank! Im very excited about that, i just hope i can get one within the next month or two.

Woke up yesterday with babies in the tank. lol I believe there is only one left now thou, i think the rest got eaten. I bought the plant that floats at the top so he can have his own little nest and some food for him. If he makes it awesome, but if not oh well. xP Had a lot going on yesterday but i did one 50% water change.

Checked the ammonia this morning was between .5-1. Just did a 50% water change, but haven't checked the ammonia level just yet.

Lilmack07 said:
Well i took on the responsibility when i took them home from the store, i plan on sticking it out. Plus i can't wait to get a bigger tank! Im very excited about that, i just hope i can get one within the next month or two.

Woke up yesterday with babies in the tank. lol I believe there is only one left now thou, i think the rest got eaten. I bought the plant that floats at the top so he can have his own little nest and some food for him. If he makes it awesome, but if not oh well. xP Had a lot going on yesterday but i did one 50% water change.

Checked the ammonia this morning was between .5-1. Just did a 50% water change, but haven't checked the ammonia level just yet.

Congrats on your fry! I actually cycled my 10 gallon with two platys ( unplanned) and one of my fry was pregnant and she had her fry, granted I never knew exactly how many she had, I just noticed them swimming around in the tank. But 5 of not 6 of then survived even through the end of the cycling process. I got a 30 gallon given to mr over the weekend and got it set up Sunday night and tested yesterday and today and had 0 ammonia and nitrite and 10-20 nitrate yesterday and today, so I moved my two platys in my 30 and will be fish in cycling it now so my 5-6 fry have my cycled 10 gallon all to themselves. I think your fish will be just fine, just be sure and stay on top of testing and water changes to keep your levels in check.

Set my lil fry up a nice lil "nest" if he makes it ill be pretty stoked but I'm trying not to keep my hopes up. When I get a bigger tank I've been thinking bout using my 20 for the fry. I hope everything goes well with your cycle and goodluck with your fry. :) thank you I've been trying to stay on top on my water changes for sure!

Attachments

• image-1405445255.jpg
    image-1405445255.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 60
Botanica said:
Mollies actually need a bit of salt...so she should be okay. :)

This is a myth
Mollies do just as well in freshwater and require no salt of any kind. Mollies and guppies can be 'trained' to live in saltwater though- like saltwater reefs- which would be awesome to see, I must admit.

emerald76 said:
This is a myth
Mollies do just as well in freshwater and require no salt of any kind. Mollies and guppies can be 'trained' to live in saltwater though- like saltwater reefs- which would be awesome to see, I must admit.

Actually...mollies come from brackish water areas and have been trained to live in freshwater...they just said so in the salt argument...lol. They can live in all types of water...fresh, brackish or salt...but are native to brackish deltas.

Botanica said:
Actually...mollies come from brackish water areas and have been trained to live in freshwater...they just said so in the salt argument...lol. They can live in all types of water...fresh, brackish or salt...but are native to brackish deltas.

I wasn't making the point that they can't live in salt, just pointing out it isn't necessary

Well I just want to commend you for taking the necessary steps to making your fishes healthy during the fish in cycle!

Annakhil- Aw thank you, trying to do my best.

Today woke up and my female black molly was not looking good at all. I figured she wouldnt make it through today and i was right. xP Came home from class and she was a goner. The male is also looking rough but im hoping he fights through it. All my other fish are doing pretty good though, still working on getting rid of that awful ich. Tested the ammonia its at 1 going to do a water change in an hour or two. My lil baby fry seems to being doing good too. He is the lone ranger :]

Lost the black male molly today. Mollies seem to be taking things the hardest. xP Im ready for this ich to be out of my tank. :]] Ammonia was at 1 when i woke up did a 50% change and its down to .50. Set my water up again to do another change in an hour or so. For my water changes i use ten old distilled water jugs and feel them each with tap water. Then let them sit for an hour or two and treat them with API stress coat water conditioner .5-1mml per gallon and 1/4 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon.

Dalmatian molly Has ich and seems like swim bladder infection. Tried the pea thing she won't touch it. Dunno what else to do. Whole tank still has ich. Keeping temp 84-86. Ammonia is at 1 WC in an hour.

No I have some meds but in advice I've been given I've steered clear from it. I also don't like the effects it could have on the tank and it wants me to take out my filter. Which is not something I want to do because I'm still trying to cycle the tank. But I could be over reacting. xP

If you're not medicating, are you trying to use aquarium salt to help them fight the ich? You could get a better brand of medications. I think there's something called Melafix or something in that brand that's recommended. Not sure about it though. I don't have much experience with sick fish.

Back
Top Bottom