First fish- disaster, please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nekarah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I added a few neon tetras to the aquarium as the first population to help ciclying the aquarium using life bacteria. I have been monitoring all valías and the are all normal and ammonia at 0. The tetras died within 6 hours. I believe they had no oxigen and the problem is the plant and bad lighting.

There are Anubias, Argentinian swords, Ammania sp. bonsai and Utricularia graminifolia.

The fish died during the day with the lights on and the plants got a yellowish color to them. The lights I have right now are stock led lighting that came with the kit.

I'm thinking about buying another lights, like the fluval. What lighting do you recommend? Should I relieve some plants?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_2901.jpg
    IMG_2901.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 106
It looks like you are using a hang on the back filter aka HOB??? It will circulate water creating aeration in the water for the fish to breathe.

What is the pH of your water? Do you know the GH/KH? TDS?

Do you happen to know what the water parameters of the store where the fish were purchased?

How did you acclimate the fish to the new tank?

It looks like you are using a hang on the back filter aka HOB??? It will circulate water creating aeration in the water for the fish to breathe.

What is the pH of your water? Do you know the GH/KH? TDS?

Do you happen to know what the water parameters of the store where the fish were purchased?

How did you acclimate the fish to the new tank?
Amonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Ph = 7.4 aprox
Kh = 40
Gh = 30
The filter is indeed HOB

The tetras where acclimated by letting the bag float for about 10 mins and then put some water of my acuarium in the bag wait 5 mins repeat and finally to the acuarium. I did not put any water from the bag in the acuarium.

I do not know the store water parameters.

The fish looked happy during the first hour or so.
When I checked back on them a few hours later they were all hitting the surface with their mouth. 20 minutes later 2 casualties. The other 3 died about 1 hour later.

I am wondering about the stores parameters, in comparison to yours. Do you happen to know if these fish were at the store for a few weeks or recently received?

MAybe a big difference in TDS and or pH. Maybe check with the store and see if they can run their tank parameters.

I will ask tomorrow for their parameters. They did die extremely fast*though which is concerning.

All water parameters look fine. I do not know how to measure TDS.

Is there such thing as fish suffocation due to excess of plants or poor lighting?

Total acclimation of 15 minutes?I assure you lights and plants were not issue. Need look elsewhere.

Plants? Were they from in a tank at the same store or were they ordered from online?

Plants from out of country being imported are often treated with poisons to kill off any pests.

Did you use dechlorinator /also good for chloramine if your water company uses them?

It would be a good idea to take a sample of your water with you so they can test it and compare it to theirs or possibly find something you're missing.

The plants where from Petco but not the ones from the tank they come in canisters, I rinsed them before planting. Water was treated*and the aquarium was running with just the plants for*about a week before I added the first fish to start the cycle.

Should I empty and start new?

Your original posts doesn't make you sound brand new to fish keeping; that said, what is your temp sitting at?
Is your ph consistent?
Makes me wonder if one wanted to get fish from LFS "xyz", and you requested a sample of *their* water to test so you know what your fish are coming out of, would they be willing? [emoji848]
The things I keep reading about acclimation periods and ph inequality has got me thinking...

Mystery solved.
Thanks for all the advice and comments I figured out what was killing the tetras.*It was the other inhabitant of the tank the betta. I did not think of it initially as I had had bettas with neon tetras before with no issues.

This betta seems to be a sadist, it does not really pay attention to the other fish and acts as calm as possible but I caught him in action today.
He*does not bite his victims, he rams them till they start swimming erratically and then kind of swims around them enjoying the show till they get sucked and stuck in the filter intake.

I have a serial killer betta :S

Mystery solved.
Thanks for all the advice and comments I figured out what was killing the tetras.*It was the other inhabitant of the tank the betta. I did not think of it initially as I had had bettas with neon tetras before with no issues.

This betta seems to be a sadist, it does not really pay attention to the other fish and acts as calm as possible but I caught him in action today.
He*does not bite his victims, he rams them till they start swimming erratically and then kind of swims around them enjoying the show till they get sucked and stuck in the filter intake.

I have a serial killer betta :S

Every Betta is different.

Over and over I hear and have one time personally seen a massacre caused by a Betta. They are called fighting fish for a reason.

One of mine cohabitated nicely for quite awhile and one morning every little shrimp and thing in the tank was murdered and one sassy, smug Betta glancing around to make sure he didn't miss anybody.

Glad you found out.

Back
Top Bottom