first fish into tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
My husband and I are having a rather..... interesting time when it comes to our new 55gal. I want to do a fishless cycle, he has heard bad things about it and doesn't want to do it. He has told me that if I don't put some fish in he will. He is not very receptive about the whole thing. I'm trying to persuade him, but he put in a call to our LFS and is going to pick something up today....

Please let's not reprimand him here.

We wanted to get some emperor tetras, and I know tetras are a good starter fish for new tanks, but I am wondering if this special breed are going to be hearty enough for an uncycled tank.

Your thought?

Tetras are not a good starter fish for uncycled tanks.

What could he have possibly heard that is bad about doing a fishless cycle? There is nothing conceivably bad about it, except that you have to have some patience. Instant gratification is not a good reason to forgo it.

Just ask him to read the "fishless cycling for dummies" thread. Or let him open an account and see what kind of feedback he gets.;)

the.......(insert your choice of naughty name here)...... at the petco told him the there is no way to get the ammonia out of the tank, and that it will kill any fish put into it. now he refuses to listen to me. i'm not sure what i'm going to do.

Lol the guy at petco has 0 understanding of the nitrogen cycle. If it were me, I would trust the hundreds of VERY experienced fish keepers than the uninformed opinion of a guy who doesn't even understand the fundamentals of the most basic process which allows an aquarium to sustain life.

Well if you must do a fish cycle try it with a small group of zebra danios they tend to be very hardy fish. You will have to change the water about 50% daily though.

Show your husband the article, and about half the posts on this site about how unreliable the LFS advice is.

I would definately not recommend an emperor tetra. Here is a great website that rates fish on relative hardiness on a scale of 1-10( 1 is tough as nails and 10 is extremely delicate). The emperor gets a 4.
Characins - Characinae
I do believe fishless cycling is the best way to cycle, but it is not the only way to cycle. If he is determined to cycle with fish, something like a platy would do well. Just do water changes and check you water parameters at least every other day.

skiweeangel said:
My husband and I are having a rather..... interesting time when it comes to our new 55gal. I want to do a fishless cycle, he has heard bad things about it and doesn't want to do it. He has told me that if I don't put some fish in he will. He is not very receptive about the whole thing. I'm trying to persuade him, but he put in a call to our LFS and is going to pick something up today....

Please let's not reprimand him here.

We wanted to get some emperor tetras, and I know tetras are a good starter fish for new tanks, but I am wondering if this special breed are going to be hearty enough for an uncycled tank.

Your thought?

Hate to say it, but if he has his way and the fish expire, a firm "I told you so" would be in order. Of course the additional PWC needed when cycling with fish should be his responsibility ;).

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom