First Large Fish Tank(Cycling)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miyavp said:
Alright and I read the sucker fish usually only attack when alge is low. I read if you keep them happy and fed they wont snack on your goldfish, are alge waffers safe to feed them? is it safe for my ryukins to eat too?

Ok, I agree that keeping him well fed will help! Since you saw him do this already, we can assume it is risky for your ryukins.

Algae wafers are awesome.

You can also do cucumber slices, orange slices, broccoli (blanched)... A veggie clip is nice for those.

..........…

Fancies do best with high filtration - 100 times tank size per hour. I watched Craigslist for a long while and found one for mine cheap!
So just a tip - if you can find a filter that moves 370 gallons per hour - its a great idea!

It comes with a filter but I have absolutley no idea what size. I plan on moving my 5gal filter to it also but idk what size it is either. If I had the money to buy these things new I'd had a much better idea. Do you know what the hex 5gal tanks filter is? I also have two air pumps one on the way I'll be placing in there. Question. One of these air pumps was in one of my hospital tanks and the fish died. Is it safe to put into my new tank. Its been out of the water for about three weeks now. Also I have a water pump for doing water changes that I used to change his water everyday. Is that safe to use for my water changes in my new tank? I thought he had dropsy due to a lump in his tummy but I didnt notice he had a sort of fungi or bacteria on him. He was metalic silver and very skitish. I could'nt see it until it was too late.

I would disinfect these items with bleach before reusing them just to be safe. Soak them in bleach solution (1 part bleach to 9 parts water) for 15mins, rinse well with hot water & let them airdry (in the sun is the best).

Alright bleach kinda scares me tho. I think I'm just gonna buy new tubing and an air stone. But I'll wash the water pump

Bleach is fine-it shouldnt be scary. If you have any doubt in respect to bleach residue after disinfecting, soak the items in water with a double dose of dechlorinator/water conditioner. This will neutralize any bleach residue. Drying the items in the sun will further dissipate any possible remaining bleach. :)

Oh alright I'll do that then. Sounds good just to be extra sure. I'm so pumped about this fish tank.

Now I wont get my water testing kit until about Wednesday. Is it okay to put my fish in the new tank and use the strips until then?

I wouldnt trust the strips but go ahead & put them in. I would just do atleast a 50% water daily until you get your kit & can see exactly whats going on. You then can adjust your water change schedule based on toxin levels.

Alright. When I get to that point I might ask some more questions. When exactly when I should be changing the water. At what level of ammonia nitrites and nitrates should tell me when to change the water? Like around what numbers should I not let them get above

When you get your test kit, let us know & we can advise you better based on your numbers (incl your tap numbers). For now 50% daily should be fine unless you notice your fish acting strange-if they do, do another water change. Just make sure you temperature match & condition the new water. :)

Mkay. My pleco started chasing my goldies and I took that as a bad sign and tried feeding him some blanched cucumbers. The first batch I think I blanched too long they were kinda rubbery and they didnt want to eat them. So I took them out and did some new ones yesterday. Cut them into halves and I ended up having to put two in because my goldies were eating them too. He ate tho and he seems alot happier now. He's not acting agressive towards the goldfish at all anymore. I'm gonna watch him closely though. I feel like when he's in the bigger tank they'll be more algae for him to eat and he'll be alot happier.

Keep a very close eye on him. They will do most of the damage at night when the lights off & your ryukins are resting. Watch for any type of sores, red spots or other marks/nipped fins on your ryukins. It will be awhile before this new tank develops any amount suitable algae for the pleco so continue to keep him fed.

So I got and set up my tank yesterday. It ran for about three hours before I put my fish in it and I made sure the water they were going into was the same temp as their aquarium had been. I filled a baggie with some of there water put them in it and slowly filled it with water from the new aquarium. Then after about an hour I set them free. They look extremly happy :) Much more room and lots of new places for the pleco to hide. The tank came with a filter. Its a hex 37 gal aquarium I think it might've been a packaged set kind of thing when he bought it because the filter fits it perfectly. I managed to put my 5 gal filter on and got the running. I had to tie it into place with some fishing line but its secured well. They seem to be doing great. Have'nt gotten my water testing kit in the mail yet. Any day now.

reading reviews on the tank...wow there awfull. The hood systems super bad.

I guess this tank is a marineland 37gal. It has the hood system that came with it too. I kept the gravel and cleaned it out really good with my gravel vacume thingy. One of the lights dosent work to that will need to be fixed. Its obnoxiously loud and apparently if you dont keep the filter clean it floods and leaks out the back. But I guess it it keeps my fish happy I'll deal with it. Can I buy a different hood for this?

Back
Top Bottom