First Tank: 20 G Long Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonsterMan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey All,

I keep putting this post off, but need to get started somewhere. First, I don't know much other than what I have read the last week here and elsewhere, so that is why I am here.

What I have so far:

-Aqueon 20 Gallon Long Tank
-Aqueon Quiteflow 20
-Tetra Whisper 20 Pump

What I am planning to get:

-Caribsea Crystal River Gravel
-Maybe a small powerhead
-Aqueon 100 W Pro Heater
-Fire Red Shrimp

Not sure of what to get:

-Hood and light
-Fish
-Plants
-Chemicals
-Cleaning Kit
-Thermometer

This is my scope and concept:

I would like to have a 3 types of fish, 2 small schools and a center piece. (This seemed to be a good number based on many threads here). I would also like to have some fire shrimp. (open to change, but would like some kind of invertebrate on the bottom). I would like to have some bubbles going because they look cool. (Hence the air pump). I want a white substrate, but not big gravel, but not tiny sand. (Hence the choice for substrate). I know white gets dirty from what I have read, but I am willing to give it a try. I would like to have a few live plants, but have no idea what to get based on my setup and fish. I really want an LED light and have liked what I seen in the Fluval Aquasky, but have no idea what hood to get for it because I need a full hood. I was going to go into the pet store and read through more of the starter guides here to figure out the chemicals I need and cycling, so I don't expect you guys to teach me how to do what is already posted here... but on some of this, the answers are not so easily found even after reading through a ton of threads here.

Thanks for the feedback.

I plan to keep you updated as I go. If you missed my intro, this is going to be for my daughter who turned 1 so she can have something fun and engaging to watch. She loves watching fish wherever we take her and they have them.

Nathan

so are you wanting a salt water tank or freshwater? because i looked up fire shrimp and they are salt water...but this is the freshwater forum?

my best recommendation would be a screen lid for simplicity, a few live or silk plants and a small school of ember and a small school of cardinals along with a betta as there a gorgeous center piece if u find the right one for you

GuppyGuy333:

Freshwater Tank. Fresh2o was correct. My apologies for not having more precise terminology.

Omegabetta: Thanks omegabetta. I had to laugh at you recommending a betta with your name :) I was watching some videos and seen some hoods that were like Plexiglas and flat across the top with the light bar mounted over them. Did you have a recommendation for company and product for the screen lid?

Thanks again all.

i just bought a light fizture from home depot got the correct bulb for plants cut a square out of plywood then stapled a screen to it and stained it a wood colour so no real preferencez as far as companys go lol

I personally love neon tetras. I know they are kind of basic but I think they are basic for good reason (if that made sense?) plus they are a schooling fish....I think rummy nose tetras are tighter schoolers though.

I agree with omegabetta about doing a betta. though that can be a little risky given that they all have different personalities. my betta is definitely the centerpiece of my 55 gallon and has the most personality.

I also recommend corys (but only if you go with the sand substrate) they come in a variety of colors and sizes (just do your research).

Also I love my mystery snails. I suggest getting one. They keep your glass clean and if you just have one you shouldn't have any population explosions.

And I currently have some red cherry shrimp and they are doing pretty well. though before spending more money on ornamental shrimp that may not work out I suggest trying ghost shrimp in your tank to see if they can handle your water parameters. Shrimp tend to be sensitive to swings in water parameters. they are like 39 cents at petsmart and are often used as food for other fish. I tested out my 55 gallon with ghost shrimp but unfortunately I did too big of a water change and many of them died.
Also if you are wanting to keep shrimp make sure they have someplace to hide because during molting they are very sensitive. one of my shrimp died because a cory ran into them mid-molt.

some good beginner plants: water wisteria, most types of anubias, java fern
in my experience these all do well with basic LED lights. I use API leaf zone during every water change as well

Chemicals
I use Stability as my bacteria starter/booster. it has explicit and clear instructions about how to use it.
a lot of people use Prime as their water conditioner but i prefer Aqueon Water conditioner. I have both and i don't really see the difference in their overall effect. Prime's directions are more suited for bigger tanks. plus prime smells really bad.
Definitely get a gravel siphon. I got the pet smart's top fin brand and it comes apart all the time. I have to use rubber bands to get the tubes to stay attached so i recommend getting a different brand.

-Thermometer....I highly recommend getting a digital thermometer because sometimes the actual tube ones with the little lines can be hard to read unless you get at the right angle. for ease and convenience..I say go digital. i bought a 15 dollar one at petsmart. though i think there are cheaper ones on amazon.

Also have you thought about using black sand as a substrate? i use black sand and I think it is a very unique look that makes the colors of my plants and fish pop as well as not looking "unnatural" as some different colored sand.

Last edited:
So... I am wondering if anyone has experience with this hood:

Aqueon Aquarium Black 30" Fluorescent Deluxe Full Hood

For starters, I was thinking of getting this because I don't have the time to invest in building one. Later, it looks like I can remove the florescent light fixture part and then I could add in my own LED light bar in its place. Wondering if anyone has experience with that?

Thanks!

Nathan

If you want Shrimp I would highly recommend some areas be densely planted. Plus real wood. In tanks with fish, the baby and juvenile Shrimp are snacks. So hiding places are a must.

Personally I will NEVER keep a Betta with any Shrimp besides Ghost Shrimp. Watching my Betta rip apart RCS was not fun. I rescued one alive.

You want a full hood. Or a glass top.
Open top or screen you'll lose a lot of water to evaporation. Plus screen rusts.

The hood with a T8 fluorescent bulb will grow low-low/medium light plants.

Anubias
Java Ferns
Crypts
Amazon Sword
Are easy for me , I just use Thrive liquid fertilizer 1-2x weekly for low light. DIY Root Tabs buried deeply for the Swords and Crypts.

After many years I prefer a few groups of a lot of fish to a mishmash. I think you see better behaviors and longer healthier lives that way.

20gLong ?

Cories , Peppered are a good choice or C trilineatus ( mislabeled as C julii 99.9% of the time) as they are very hardy. They prefer sand, but maybe later you can give them a sandy area.

Nice big group of Neons ( they show better on black sand but mine look ok on light sand). The dark background makes a huge difference. 1st picture is most recent.
IMG_1480416284.465449.jpgIMG_1480416532.578435.jpg

Threadfin Rainbows
Active but peaceful. The Threadfins need the food crushed up, they have tiny throats. I get 1 male to 3 females. They stay 2".

Or
Harlequin Rasboras
Or
Lemon Tetras

Honey Gourami
More peaceful than a DG and less chance of disease.

Get a timer for the light.
Prime is best conditioner

Don't use ph adjuster or any crap chemicals.

I hate bubbles...but I've seen some used in nice ways [emoji1360]

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I had a small set back with a family emergency, but I am back on track to building this thing now.

I ended up getting

-Aqueon 100W heater.
-Aqueon hood with T8 bulb
-Petco power head (the 160g one)
-API Freshwater Master Test Kit

I have a friend with a pretty nice reef tank set up and he has a RO / DI set up and is going to supply me with enough water to get me started and water for all future changes for now. So I don't have to worry about treating the water for chlorine.

I plan to do some shopping around town for the substrate and then I am going to get this thing cycling.

Goal now is to have it finished by Christmas.

Wanted to update everyone. I ended up trading in the 20G Long for a 29G. I liked the way it looked better and gives me some more tank space so I don't feel like I am cramming so much in. As I said, it was for my daughter and she loves it. So far we have 7 Neon Tetras and 3 Golden Panda Mollies.

Enjoy!

106675-albums14622-picture70800.jpg

106675-albums14622-picture70801.jpg

106675-albums14622-picture70802.jpg

Back
Top Bottom