First Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishNewbieLove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! New to the site and to aquariums. Had a tank as a kid but didn't understand much about the work that goes into it. I'm looking to buy a 20-30 gallon tank early next year and need some advice. Any info helps, especially regarding what brands of tanks and filters you'd recommend for a newbie. Thank you! I'll also continue reading through these helpful threads :)

Hi everyone! New to the site and to aquariums. Had a tank as a kid but didn't understand much about the work that goes into it. I'm looking to buy a 20-30 gallon tank early next year and need some advice. Any info helps, especially regarding what brands of tanks and filters you'd recommend for a newbie. Thank you! I'll also continue reading through these helpful threads :)

Welcome Fishnewbielove

Here are two links one of the moderators gave m3 a little while ago. Excellent for the beginner

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules

As far as the size of the tank. I personally went thru this. I started with a small tank, like you 20-30 gallons. I quickly got the fever of wanting more :fish1: and I ended up upgrade not one but 3 times. What I am trying to say is if you can go bigger go bigger, if it’s within your budget. I didn’t do it and I spent money 3 times over. Good luck

thanks!

Thank you so much! I'll get started on reading these :) and great advice for the size. I can definitely picture having to upgrade so I'll think about that.

I upgraded my tank 3 times in less than 12 months. Trouble was I didn't want to get rid of the old tanks so now I have four ?

I think we all do that. For me it was going from a five gallon to a ten gallon, now to a twenty. I can’t go larger or I would have gone to a fifty.

My advice - don't be afraid of using live plants. I was worried about the extra maintenance of plants so we went with plastic. Currently in the process of switching over to real. Wish we had gone that route from the beginning. Search out easy to grow, low tech plants. So far Anubis are my favorite. I searched you tube for ideas to grow them in the aquarium. Lots of ideas. I have them tied to driftwood with fish line. The last bunch I received(I get freebies from a friend), I super glued to rocks from the beach(that I boiled clean and tested for acidity with vinegar).

My advice - don't be afraid of using live plants. I was worried about the extra maintenance of plants so we went with plastic. Currently in the process of switching over to real. Wish we had gone that route from the beginning. Search out easy to grow, low tech plants. So far Anubis are my favorite. I searched you tube for ideas to grow them in the aquarium. Lots of ideas. I have them tied to driftwood with fish line. The last bunch I received(I get freebies from a friend), I super glued to rocks from the beach(that I boiled clean and tested for acidity with vinegar).

:agree:

This is sound advice. (y)

Back
Top Bottom