first tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chiefs101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have never had a fish. I have been reading this forum and others. i have a friend that has and aquarium and i help with that sometimes. Now i want one of my own. i have no idea what size i need or anything. I want a decently sized one but i also dont want to be overwhelmed.

The bigger aquarium you can afford and think you can maintain the better. A larger tank is much easier to maintain than a smaller one. Please read the stickies at the top of this forum if you haven't already. Do you have any idea what kind of fish you would like to keep? Do you want real plants?

Oh and most importantly Welcome to AA!!!

There are many fine people here who will help you all the way.

I had a ten gallon tank for the longest time, and last year for my birthday I got a 55. I thought that was HUGE compared to my teeny ten gallon. Now it really seems like 75 gallons would be better. :? As has been said already, bigger is better. Looking back, and knowing what I know now, I would say if you don't have a whole lot of room, a 29gallon is a good size to start with. If you can swing a 55 or 75, all the better. :D

Welcome to AA! I agree the bigger you can afford the better. I also think you should check into fishless cycling before adding fish. There are so many exciting options out there for fish and tanks, a larger tank will allow you much more variety and possibilities.

Ive heard that buying aquariums online is usually cheaper but i cant find a good site to look at any suggestions?

Tough to buy aquariums on line, because of shipping issues. Best place for a deal is your local pennysaver.

It is normally better to buy aquarium equipment online, most of the time it is 50% less than at the lfs. Aquariums are better bought at the lfs though. They are harder to ship and by the time you pay shipping, it would have been cheaper just to buy it locally.

I agree with the others, bigger is better. You could start with a 10 gal, but your stocking options would be limited. You're going to come across so many fish that you're going to want to keep and smaller tanks can not hold them. Plus, larger tanks are easier to maintain because of the increased amount of water. 55 gal tanks can hold almost any type of fish that you want to purchase. Now bare in mind that there are some fish like Pacu's and the such that can not be kept in these tanks, but most fish will. And if you can afford a 55 gal tank, like Meredith said, go for the 75. They are not much more expensive.

Welcome to AA!

Welcome to AA!

I purchased all my new tanks from Petsmart. I think I paid around $70 for my 29 gallon with hood and light. The prices were cheaper than the LFS. My first real tank was a 10 gallon, but I would also recommend a 29 gallon or larger for starting out. They are easier to maintain and the water quality is more stable, and you have lots more options for stocking.

You can get a good starter 55 gal setup at walmart for a low price.... i wish i had instead of the 10 gal I got...

Of course, I'm planning on upgrading to a 120ish soon (custom 4x2x2)

Minimum 1st tank? - 20 gals. They are just not that much bigger than 10 gals, so why not?
Maximun 1st tank? - 55 gals. NOt too big, and you can really enjoy it.
However, If you have experience, albeit with someone elses tank, and think you can afford it, 75's to 125's are great.

Back
Top Bottom