First Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glenc

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here is a shot of my first planted tank, a 10 gallon, and my latest, a 20 gallon high. This is one of the last shots the night I tore the 10 down. I learned alot from this tank. I moved everything into a 20 gallon high. Didn't have room for both. All I do to try to aquascape is slope my substrate from 2" at the front to 4" to 5" in the back. Really gives the illusion of depth to your tank. I didn't do this in my ten but did it in my 20 and it makes a world of difference. Having said that, you can't really see it anymore as the plants have grown to thick! I'm sure it still has some effect on the final look. I try to pick plants that will look to scale in my smaller tank, smaller leaves, shorter height. Looks more realistic. That's it! If I can do this anyone can. I'm having a blast and am totally hooked on my planted tanks. Didn't get that 90 gallon for my b-day. Maybe next year!

Thanks guys! The foreground plant is indeed Hemianthus callitrichoides "Cuba" Fast growing, loves high light but will do ok in lower light, just grows slower. Pearls easy and often in high light. In fact, I use it to tell when CO2 levels are not great in my tank. Typically if it's not pearling, my CO2 levels have dropped a bit. If you get some break it up and plant it in lots of smaller pieces. Spread it out. Grows faster and thicker that way. I first planted mine in bigger clumps, and it grew lumpy and had to much space in between bunches. Removed it and re-planted thinner and smaller. Also be in a good mood when you try to plant it as it loves to float away on you! Its a great little plant that has done well for me, sure it will for you to.

Great use of shape, color and texture in both tanks Glenn

very very nice. You have the knack.. mine is recovering from disaster.. and thank you so much for your wonderful note.. been racing too much to respond properly. will post soon!!!

Wow! They both look great!

Those are the types of aquascapes that tempt me to spend more time and money than I should on my tanks. ;)

I always spend more money than I should on my tanks! Thanks for the kind words, learned everything I know right here from the generous folks on this site.

Back
Top Bottom