First Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mldw13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone.

My daughter loves fish so I took the plunge and bought a 55 gallon tank. However, upon reflection I am not sure if I trust the store owner's information. I told him I wanted the easiest set up possible (because I am new at this) and perhaps he thought I did not want to do any work at all.

I have set up the tank and I have let it cycle for a few days. If some of you could help me out with some questions I would greatly appreciate it.

What filter is the quietest? Do you recommend a cannister filter and are they hard to set up and maintain?

I want to put African chiclids in the fish tank. The store owner said I should put 20-30 in the tank. That sounds like a lot. My roommate in college had the same size tank and he only had eight chiclids. What would be the right amount?

Can I put an allege eater in with the chiclids?

He gave me some bacteria to put in the tank but I was told not to worry about anything else. What about nitrates? Should I test the water before I put any fish in and what tests should I do?

Thanks for the help - I need it for sure.

Regards - Matt

I'd say 15 is the max cichlids in the tank, and you have to get compatible ones. I don't know what algae eaters can go in so I'll leave that open for somebody else. If he gave you a product called "cycle" return it if you can it won't work. I recommend an HOB filter over a canister, but most people on this board do fine with canisters. You should get a test kit for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and ph at least. This should be a test tube kit not a test strip kit as the strips are often inaccurate. The store will probably have a master kit with all you need included.

Welcome to AA!

However, upon reflection I am not sure if I trust the store owner's information.

If I had a penny for each time this occurs, I'd be a millionaire. This is reflected very well in this statement:

The store owner said I should put 20-30 in the tank.

Lord, that is completely insane and you are right about it being too many, especially with Africans. Your choice of fish will determine the amount (size, aggression, etc.)

What filter is the quietest? Do you recommend a cannister filter and are they hard to set up and maintain?

Canisters are quiet and take up less floor space since they go under your stand. You can get a nice canister via online sources as they are extremely cheaper than what your LFS sells them for.

He gave me some bacteria to put in the tank but I was told not to worry about anything else. What about nitrates? Should I test the water before I put any fish in and what tests should I do?

Could you explain this? Was it an additive such as "Cycle"? If yes, he sold you nothing. What you can do is read the article on cycling in the Articles Section. This will help you immensely.

You should get yourself the following re-agent test kits: Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte and ph.

Great advice -

The owner gave me TLC ("Tender Loving Care") and he also had me put a cap full of Prime in the tank.

What cannister model would you recommend? He gave me a HOB model but we would prefer the quietest filter possible. If I put a new filter in do I need to redo anything? With the canister model to I need to add an air filter?

I will get some test tube kits before I put fish in.

Is there anything else I need to know to make my fish healthy?

Thanks again for the great advice - Matt

Prime isn't bacteria, it is a water conditioner (removes impurieties and chloride/chloramines) from the tank so that is good. Get yourself a large bottle as you will need it when you do water changes.

As far as the canister, I have the Fluval 404 which is a workaholic. Most likely you will recieve suggestions on the Rena XP3, which is a notch above the Fluval IMO. You can actually install the canister while the HOB is running to avoid costly delays in getting the tank cycled. An airstone/bubble wand is a good idea since you want to create some surface agitation and get some good O2 into the water.

Is there anything else I need to know to make my fish healthy?

The most important factor in keeping fish healthy is the water quality. Keeping the ph stable and the tank free of harmful toxins along with a steady and constant temperature will go a long way to keep the fish healthy. Weekly PWC's (of course, after the tank is stocked) of 25-30%) are very beneficial. Feeding a varied diet of flake and meaty foods will also help. Overfeeding does just as much harm as underfeeding. Keep in mind that fish do not have someone dropping tasty foods at them constantly and despite looking like they are hungry, they aren't.

Finally, patience. You will need this for yourself, which in turn will help your fish. :D

Thanks Jchillin for the great advice.

I just read several articles. Is it best to do a fishless cycle to set up the tank for chiclids? If so how much ammonia should I add?

Regards - Matt

You want to add enough ammonia to get yourself to 4-5 ppm. Since you want the African cichlids go for 5ppm they are messy fish. You will want to maintain that level until you see nitrites then just maintain a level of 2ppm or so unitl the cycle is complete.

Welcome to AA!!!

Thanks Rich,

I still reading (and learning) - should I use a product like Bio Spira? I have read that the stuff the LFS gave me to start (TLC) may be worthless.

How do you know the cycle is complete?

Thanks!!!

- Matt

What you will see is that given some time, bacteria will gradually start converting the ammonia to nitrite. Once nitrite has developed, given a bit more time, bacteria will start converting the nitrite to nitrate. The cycle is finished when the ammonia and nitrite readings are zero and you have a positive nitrate reading. How you go about this depends on whether you use the shrimp method or you use liquid ammonia. The shrimp method has the advantage of being more or less drop and forget, but you have less control over the ammonia levels (that is, it takes time to build up to that ideal 4-5 ppm to get started). The liquid ammonia takes a bit more attention, but you get started a bit quicker.
The consensus seems to be that the instant cycle products are garbage, although many say BioSpira works. I would personally go the patience route as you will find that it is valuable throughout the life of your tank. If you are hoping to speed things up, IMHO the best way to do so is to get some filter media or a bit of gravel from an established, healthy tank.

There is a crazy amount of information on this site. My only advice at this point is read read read and ask a lot of questions - this hobby is more about patience than anything and can be very rewarding if you take things slowly. The people on this forum are the best to ask for advice - as their words come from caring and knowledge, not from commision and sales.

Go fishless with your cycle and if you want Africans, do your reseach on species so that you dont end up with aggresion issues :)

I can not thank you all enough for the advice.

I have read quite a few articles (maybe all of them). Would it be a good idea to use Bio Spira to start a fishless cycle. I had to run out this morning so I dropped by the LFS and he insists I can put twenty of the Ciclids in there today. Seems crazy.

Thanks - Matt

If you use the Bio Spira and it works you are supposed to add the full fish load at the same time you add the Bio Spira. Of course if it is a bad batch you will be doing a fishy cycle then. Make sure that it is refridgerated and check the expiration date if you decide to go with it.

I dont know much about African cichlids but twenty seems like a lot. I would wait for our experts on that to come by and help you out.

Back
Top Bottom