first tank. fish in cycle. please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalnewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got a 29G tank for xmas knowing nothing about aquarium sciences.
Done some online research, :blink:, spoken to several fish store "experts":banghead:.
Would appreciate some reliable advice.

29 G planted fresh. started cycling with 6 leopard danios. Added 5 cardinal tetras 1.5 weeks later. Now know that that's too many too soon. However, all still alive, 4 weeks later.
Rough go, many water changes. Idiot that I am, I didn't test my water before I started. Was doing daily water changes as ammonia and NO2 constantly high. Finally decided to test my water; high ammonia content. Am now buying water. Reverse osmosis treated.
Ammonia fell to next to nil, NO2 remained through the roof. Danios hiding. Did a 50% followed directly by another 50% change and they came out of hiding and seemed to be playing. Then today I did another 50%.

Questions:

(today's levels:)
(ph 6.7)
(NH .1)
(NO2 .25)
(NO3 5.0)

- In the event that NO2 continues to rise, I should continue with water changes? ( some people say no, but that seems unreasonable providing there is still some minimal amounts for conversion...)
- How much NO3 really is reasonable and safe? (I've read everything from 10 is too high, to anything below 40 is good...)
- Once levels fall to 0 and NO3 is acceptable, how much can I clean the tank (leaving the filter alone) without causing a problem?

:eek:really would appreciate any and all help that you may take the time to offer "totalnewb"

thanks in advance :hide:

So are you using 100% RO water or are you using half RO and half tap? If you're using full RO water it's basically distilled water which has zero nutritents for the bacteria, fish and plants so you'll need to add something like Seachem Replenish or Kent's RO Rite to add minerals back in.

What test kit are you using? Strips can be inaccurate.

Yes, continue with water changes whenever nitrite and/or ammonia are over .25 on the test kit. It won't harm the cycle and with fish it's needed to keep the fish safe from toxin poisoning.

Your PH is a bit on the low side, I suspect it's from the RO water. It would be OK for fish as long as it's stable but the bacteria you're trying to grow in your filter prefer a PH of at least 7; at mid-low 6's the nitrification process can stall or even stop (e.g. the bacteria won't multiply). You can get some crushed coral or argonite (sold at most fish stores in the saltwater section) and add a couple of teaspoons to a mesh media bag or clean (never washed with detergent) nylon stocking and put it in your filter; add/remove the coral as needed to try to get PH at around 7.

There's some debate about nitrate. Typically 40 is considered borderline, anything over 40 is too high. You want to aim for <20.

Once the tank cycles I'd leave it alone for a couple of months. After that you can swish the media in old tank water during a water change once a month or so.

Hope this helps. Welcome to AA!

I can't thank you enough for your quick reply.
I am using the API tests, sometimes they can be ify to read according to the light source, but I have been told that they are what I should be using.

I did not realize that I needed a higher ph. THANK YOU. I will probably opt for a ph booster rather than go half and half, as despite the fact that it might be a false reading from the resting chloramine, my tap reads too high an ammonia reading. I will look into your suggestions.
Thank for the confirmation on the NO3.

I appreciate the "putting up with the newb".
:)

Two things: the first issue is that Nitrates are not as big of an issue right now and anything between 20 and 40 ppm is fine. The second is that you want to cycle your tank at a consistent pH. As the pH fluctuates ammonia concentrations can rise exponentially. If you're going to raise the pH then try to keep it at the same levels. My pH is around 7 or a little higher too and my tank cycled fine. A friend of mine gave me some advice when I started and that was unless your pH is way off, don't mess with it. 99% of the fish you buy will adjust to what you have.

Back
Top Bottom