First tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dope

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone this is my first time back into the hobby since I was fairly young, I was just wondering if anyone had input/knowledge dropping you like to give me on my setup/In general. Video provided of my tank.

I've put together a 15 gallon aquarium with a heater, filter, gravel, ornaments and a couple small other things. I let everything fit for a couple days then proceeded to get 3 neon tetras to carry on with the cycle. I didn't use any chemicals I just let the cycle run its course, I know that isn't the best way todo it for the fishes sake. I let the 3 neon tertas stay in the tank for a week then got another 3, let then sit in the tank for another week while doing water changes every other day or so. This leads me to now I just got two ghost shrimps, just did a water change and wondering if my tank may be a little over crowded? what i can do to make it better. Am I able to get more tetras? if you guys have any input?

I would not add anything else to the tank unless it's cycled.... otherwise, you might just be wasting money. The complete cycle could take up to 6 weeks give or take. The shrimp will be the proverbial canaries in the coal mine about your water quality, but with a fish-in cycle, you have to be diligent and I mean that about testing your water.... 1x or even 2x per day for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Get the master test kit from API and do some chemistry experiments. Then, after the ammonia and nitrites are to zero add more fish judiciously... too many at one time and you can disrupt the entire balance. Check aqadvisor.com to see how many, but I wouldn't go more than 8 in an unplanted 15g.

Cheers!

Man if you are able to successfully cycle a small tank using neon tetras, you should be giving the experts advice.
Don't apologize for cycling your tank the old school way. Most use tougher fish to cycle a new tank like barbs or zebra fish.
Don't be shocked if you lose some neons.They are fragile and relatively short lived even in the best situations.
IMO might be pushing your luck adding more neon tetras. Maybe add a few zebra fish to complete the cycle, and add a little extra movement to the tank. Good luck.

I came back to the hobby later in life much like yourself and did so heavily planted. I couldn't be more pleased with the ease of cycling with plants. Everything also has been breeding like crazy. Just sayin... it helps with the ammonia to nitrite to nitrate cycle

Also build your own filter if you're even the slightest inclined. The money you save is nothing compared to how much more filtration capacity you can create with household goods... Seriously stuff you probably have lying around the house right now can have you safely overstocked, breeding, growing food - whatever you want.

Back
Top Bottom