First tank: Shopping list with questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianJR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve been doing a lot of reading, and I think I’m ready to start my first tank! I like the idea of a nice peacefully community (tetras, guppies, minnows) and I think some live plants would be nice. Since I’m starting from scratch, how does this shopping list sound…am I missing anything? Any recommendations for better gear?

20 gal Tank
Hagen Fluorescent Canopy
Aqua-Glo Fluorescent Lamp
Aquaclear 30 Power Filter
100W Heater
Thermometer
Gravel, rocks, driftwood
Background
Timer
Siphon vacuum
Net
Algae Scrub Brush
Test Kit
Seachem Prime

And so now my questions. First, do I really need a CO2 Reactor? They’re expensive, and they seem like overkill for a small tank. And the DIY systems seem like a lot of messy work. If I just keep low light plants, will I be alright?

Second, I want to do a fishless cycle by adding ammonia. Can I just buy pure ammonia at the pet store? I don’t like the idea of putting rotting shrimp in my tank.

Finally, can I add my plants at the beginning of the cycle? Or is it better to cycle with an empty tank?

Thank for your help. I’m really excited! :D

Welcome to AA! If you are just keeping low light plants you should be ok without a CO2 reactor. I am not a plant expert though.

You can purchase ammonia at the store, just make sure it is pure, unscented ammonia.

Yes you can add your plants at the beginning of a cycle. I think others may have recommendations on how much ammonia to add with plants. I have always done fishless cycling with no plants so overdosing the ammonia by accident didn't harm anything. If anything it speed my cycle up.

I've heard people say that Ace Hardware sells pure ammonia. Just remember to check the label to make sure it doesn't contain any surfactants. You can cycle with plants if you want. Great choice on the fishless cycle- you have obviously been doing a lot of research. :D

Unless you want to try medium to high light plants, your shopping list looks great to me. I keep low light plants in my 29 gallon with just the stock lighting and my plants are doing awesome. Some good plants to try with low light are anubias, java fern, and some of the crypts and vals. As Zagz said, you will not need any CO2 with low light plants. They really don't require much maintenance at all.

Good luck with your new tank and welcome to AA! :mrgreen:

Hey, you won't regret starting a fish tank. If you're going low light, follow what everybody else said and forget the CO2 reactor. If you decide to add more light in the future you can always add CO2 aswell. You'll also want some type of gravel with nutrients in it. Flourite, Eco-Complete, Laterite, Schultz aquatic soil, etc. This way you won't have to add plant tabs into the gravel and your plant roots will be receiving the proper nutrients. :D

If you don't want to wait for your cycle to finish buy some Bio-Spira. This stuff is expensive but its well worth it IMO. At my LFS it was $18.99 for a 1 oz pouch. Just add this in at the same time your adding ALL your fish into your tank and you're done. You're adding the nitrifying bacteria to the tank at the same time you're adding your fish. Instant cycle and no waiting. I've personally done this and it has worked great. I've had no ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate spikes.

Wow, awesome advice here! Looks like I've come to the right place! :D

I'm so relieved to hear that I don't need a CO2 system. Since this is my first tank, I want to keep everything as simple as possible.

Severum mama: Thanks for some plant suggestions...I'll be sure to check those out when I'm at the store.

Todd2: Gravel with nutrients eh? Hmmm, looks like I've got some more reading to do!

Speaking of gravel and plants, do I really need the siphon vacuum? Wouldn't vacuuming damage the root structure of the plants? With all these plant questions, I guess I should wander over to the "Planted" forum. :p

Speaking of gravel and plants, do I really need the siphon vacuum? Wouldn't vacuuming damage the root structure of the plants?
Yes, you need to siphon the gravel. The gunk that causes bad water quality (high nitrates, since you'll be cycling ;) ) lives in your gravel mostly. Decaying food, fish waste, etc. is all bad. Regular gravel vaccuming gets rid of all of this. When you get near a plant however, just lightly go over the gravel there.

I have a few low light plants in my 55 gallon with regular gravel and without CO2 and they are doing great.

If I recall correctly, fish waste is good for plants, they feed off of it. But you still need a syphon to do water changes. And, you may have a build up of fish waste that needs to be removed. A Python is a great tool for water changes.

Also, make sure you purchase a liquid reagent test kit, not the strips. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit is a very good one. It comes highly recommended.

Plant substrate would work great for you I'm sure, but for a low light tank I'm not convinced it is necessary. I don't have any plant substrate and I don't dose fertilizers or use plant tabs in my 29 gallon low light tank, and the plants are doing great anyway. Java fern and anubias don't even need to be planted in the substrate. I have mine attached to rocks and driftwood- it's really easy if you are interested in trying it.

Back
Top Bottom