First time aquarium - Nitrate/Nitrite issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jason19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

I am a first time aquarium owner. I bought my 40L tank off a person however, before reading up, dumped out the existing substrate/filters :facepalm::facepalm:

I reckon this would have saved me the torture of having to cycle my tank.

So, long story short, I have been fishless cycling now for around 2 weeks. I initially started using fish flakes but the tank was getting very smelly so I have now changed to using Dr Tims Ammonia solution. 2 days ago, I used "love fish" 5 in 1 test strips and the water levels showed presence of both nitrates and nitrites (50 mg/l NH3 and between 5.0-10 mg/l NO2). I added more ammonia as the ammonia test showed very little and today, the nitrites/nitrates are remaining virtually the same. The tank is running currently around 28C and PH is around 7.

The question I want to ask is, is it normal to show low ammonia and Nitrites/nitrates both present? If so, should I continue to does ammonia as normal? I do plan to buy the API test as I have read many reports that test strips are unreliable. Would it be fine to add fish by next week (was thinking to start with Tetras/guppies) or would you advise to wait until both nitrates and nitrites are untraceable?

Thanks in advance,
Jason.

Wait.

Once the tank can consume 2-4ppm of ammonia within 24 hours with no presence of nitrite, you are cycled.

I would do a large water change, get those nitrates down to 20ppm, and then dose ammonia back up to 2-4ppm and track it's consumption + nitrite production.

My API kit came today so I did a test and had the following results:

Ammonia - 0 ppm (will add more today)
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 40 ppm
pH - 7.4

Would it be advisable to continue to wait or, now that nitrates seem to be the only thing existing does that enable me to go ahead and add fish?

People are right - waiting is the hardest part!!

When did you last dose ammonia? As ZxC says, if you are dosing 2 to 4ppm ammonia and its all gone to nitrates 24 hours later you are cycled and can add fish. I would probably want to see those results for a few consecutive days to be sure, and only lightly stock and build up your stocking gradually.

Also before adding fish, do a big water change to get those nitrates down. Below 10ppm would be good. Continue to monitor water parameters after adding fish to be sure the parameters stay good.

When did you last dose ammonia? As ZxC says, if you are dosing 2 to 4ppm ammonia and its all gone to nitrates 24 hours later you are cycled and can add fish. I would probably want to see those results for a few consecutive days to be sure, and only lightly stock and build up your stocking gradually.

Also before adding fish, do a big water change to get those nitrates down. Below 10ppm would be good. Continue to monitor water parameters after adding fish to be sure the parameters stay good.

I last dosed Dr Tim's ammonia 48 hours ago. I'll do it today again, test the water tomorrow and if no ammonia/nitrites, I'll proceed to purchase fish and do a big water change. Thanks guys!!

My API kit came today so I did a test and had the following results:

Ammonia - 0 ppm (will add more today)
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 40 ppm
pH - 7.4

Would it be advisable to continue to wait or, now that nitrates seem to be the only thing existing does that enable me to go ahead and add fish?

People are right - waiting is the hardest part!!

Another test today showed:

Ammonia - 0ppm after adding 5ppm yesterday.
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 40ppm
pH - dropped to around 6.8. Should come up when I do water change as my tap water has a PH of 7.4.

Going to do a big water change today to lower the nitrates then I'll add my fish :).

Back
Top Bottom