First timer - Fishless Cycle advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuadu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello to all - and many thanks for all the amazingly informative posts here - I just joined up after a long time lurking and reading countless postings. I have jumped into the hobby with both feet now, and have started a 55 gallon freshwater tank. I elected to use the fishless cycle, given all the positive feedback it has garnered. Okay, so here is my first ever REAL post:

I am at Day 11 of my fishless cycle, and was hoping one of the more experienced aquarists could give me some feedback... Here are my test results thus far:

Water pH: 8.2 (Consistent with city water report)
Water Temp: 80-84 (Can't seem to get higher than 84 - 200W heater)

Day ----- Ammonia ----- Nitrites ----- Nitrates
1 -- 8.0 -- 0.0 -- 0.0
2 -- 8.0 -- 0.0 -- 0.0
3 -- 8.0 -- 0.0 -- 0.0
4 -- 4.0 -- 0.0 -- 0.0 (30% PWC to get Ammo down)
5 -- 4.0 -- 0.0 -- 0.0
6 -- 4.0 -- 1.0 -- 0.0
7 -- 2.0 -- >5.0 -- 5.0
8 -- 0.0 -- >5.0 -- 2.5 (Added 4.0 mL Ammo)
9 -- 1.0 -- >5.0 -- 80.0
10 - 0.25 -- >5.0 -- 5.0 (50% PWC)(Added 4.0 mL Ammo)
11 - 0.0 -- >5.0 -- 5.0 (Today)(Added 4.5mL Ammo)

And that's where I am right now. Nitrates seemed to spike a LOT on Day 9 - could that be erroneous? They have stayed at 5.0 despite a 50% water change yesterday (Nitrites must be WAY off the chart, because they are still above 5 today after the PWC).

How am I looking so far? Should I not worry about any more PWCs? Just keep re-dosing Ammonia for now?

Thanks very much!!!

Welcome Aboard!

I'd say you're fishless cycle is looking great. I'd suggest waiting till your ammo drops again (no need in wasting a dosing) and do a large PWC to bring your nitrites (no2) back down to a readable level. Many times it gets well above 5ppm but the test can't show it since it's maxed out.

Mr. Limpet said:
Welcome Aboard!

I'd say you're fishless cycle is looking great. I'd suggest waiting till your ammo drops again (no need in wasting a dosing) and do a large PWC to bring your nitrites (no2) back down to a readable level. Many times it gets well above 5ppm but the test can't show it since it's maxed out.

Thanks very much! I actually did do a 50% PWC but it had no effect on the nitrites. Same test results today, as well. I ran the nitrate test twice and got 5.0 both times. Do I need to do a larger PWC?

I'd go ahead and try to knock no2 down to about .5-1. Back to back 50% pwc's will probably get it done for you. Consider the bucket carrying as practice for when you have fish in there :).

Humm... A 50% PWC should have knocked it down to 2.5ppm, so that's a bit odd. I agree with eco and a couple more PWC are in order. I'd also suggest testing your tap water and see what's coming out of it (all 4 tests), so you have a base number to work from.

Back
Top Bottom