First water test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowbush

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Since joining this forum looking for information about setting up a new lightly planned tank (29 gallon) I finally purchased an API test kit. I've had my current 20 gal tall tank for 15 years. Started with goldfish and have switched to platy's about 4 years ago. Today's test sure surprised me; pH 6.4-7.4, nitrate 0, nitrite 0 and ammonia 0.

I'm switching to a aqua clear 50 for the 20 gal tank so it's running with my old filter (I have removed the carbon from the filter). Still waiting on lights and heater to arrive for the 29 gal. I'll put my old filter in along with a new Aqua clear 70 to help along the fish less cycling.

Make sure you shake the living daylights out of reagent bottle#2 on the nitrate test before adding drops to vial.
0 is usually a error for new test takers?

I did. For 30 seconds as in the instructions. Right now I'm running two filters, a penguin and the Aqua clear 50. When I set up the new tank, I'll use the penguin and a new Aqua clear 70 to help establish BB.

Hi. Are you saying that a tank with fish in it has a zero nitrate reading? This is most unlikely unless the tank is really heavily planted and stocking levels are low.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have 3 moss balls for live plants at the moment. 6 platys, and 4 tetra, 2 Corey's. Plus there are numerous platy fry of different ages.

Hi. Are you saying that a tank with fish in it has a zero nitrate reading? This is most unlikely unless the tank is really heavily planted and stocking levels are low.
Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I strongly agree!

I have 3 moss balls for live plants at the moment. 6 platys, and 4 tetra, 2 Corey's. Plus there are numerous platy fry of different ages.

This still does not sound right IMO(I have been wrong before?).
What is your water change habit?
How much how often?
My 180g has been running for 10+ years with huge sump and good maintenance and 10 ppm no3 is a good week for me.
Only trying to help if it ain't broke don't fix it,just not sure??

Back
Top Bottom