Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beginnerfoshworld

Aquarium Advice Regular
Which fish?

I have a 40 gallon freshwater tank with no fish. I am thinking of a cichlid tank. What are some fish ideas for my tank size

What kind of fish interest you? There are so many possibilities, it's really all going to be suggestions of everyones favorites. If you have some that you'd like, we can help you figure out a good stocking plan.

What part of the world are you looking at for cichlids? Do you want the African lake ones, New World? Do you want a few bigger fish with dithers or a community of cichlids? Are you thinking of planting the tank?

Well, in your tank, most africans are going to be out of the question. About the only ones suitable would be shell dwellers and some of the smaller tanganyikans. Oh, and kribensis.

For sa cichlids, there are several. Angels, rams, and apistos would all work, just not together. You could do a pair of rams or apistos, a couple schools of tetras, and a group of cories. Is this a 3' tank? If so, a pair of angels, school of tetras, and group of cories would work.

I'm not real familiar with new world cichlids, but seems like all the ones I am familiar with would grow far too large for your tank.

I think that a pair of angels, keyholes, maybe festivums. The other side of the lake you could look at jewels or butterflys. I would go with the dwarfs that mfd suggested.

It's not really about size necessarily... There are a lot of factors involved. Since it's a 30" tank, I would stick with rams, apistos, or kribs if you want any of those. Not really big enough for angels IMO. Most any of the smaller tetras would be fine to go with them.

You could get a jack Dempsey Cichlid (south America) if you are looking for a large fish that can be aggressive. Or a few Convicts

whoops thought it said 3'. JD will get up to a foot or more
Sorry :/ Convicts would be nice, maybe Africans (Yellow labs, zebras, electric blue, etc) but not too many

Back
Top Bottom