Fish advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyperson3010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi
I was thinking of getting some nano fish and shrimp for my 18 gallon tank
I like:
Scarlet Badis
Ember Tetra
Chilli Rasbora
Pygmy Corys
Dwarf Corys
Cherry Shrimp
How many of each of thes could I get

Probably due to stocking. I agree with Jeta but if the pygmies scare you badis be prepared to move them. I have some and they do not seem that shy to me but I have heard that the hyperactive cories can scare them.

I keep scarlet badis with pygmies and dwarfs and they do great. They've never seemed bothered by them at all. Scarlet badis are far less shy than pygmy cories.

I keep scarlet badis with pygmies and dwarfs and they do great. They've never seemed bothered by them at all. Scarlet badis are far less shy than pygmy cories.
Yea that is just what I heard. To be honest my experience with the scarlets didnt make me think it was really an issue but just covering all bases :)

IMO they would both fit, but the habrosus are far more entertaining and cute, and do waaaay less hiding. I also think you could get away with 12 of the chili. I have a similarly sized/stocked tank and this is what has worked for me.

I just think that the bottom would be pretty cluttered in that size tank with 2 distinct group of cories as well as shrimp. I'm also assuming that the footprint on this tank is probably more like a 20h than a 20L, but who knows.

Either way will work I'm sure, as far as bioload goes, I'm just going on personal taste.

It definitely wouldn't look too cluttered for me. As you said, personal taste. Pygmies will shoal mid tank though, They aren't really bottom dwellers so much as the dwarfs. But they do like to join in with eachother from time to time.

Could I get
10x Chilli Rasbora
7x Ember Tetra
2x Scarlet Badis
3x Dwarf Cory
3x Pygmy Cory
12x Cherry Shrimp
And Can you please suggest a centrepiece fish that is compatable
Oh and it's a 20Long

Could I get
10x Chilli Rasbora
7x Ember Tetra
2x Scarlet Badis
3x Dwarf Cory
3x Pygmy Cory
12x Cherry Shrimp
And Can you please suggest a centrepiece fish that is compatable with these
Oh and it's a 20Long

I would probably consider the scarlet badis the CP fish. I think they, and sparkling gouramis, make great CP fish for nano communities. Unless you want a larger CP fish?

That's not enough cories. For the dwarf cories, get atleast 4..but I would get even more. The larger the group the more cory-like behavior you will see. The pygmies are very shy and reclusive. I would get 8. Try to find tank bred versions of these fish if at all possible. More often than not, they are wild caught. If you can get your hands on tank bred, you will lose less and they will be far less timid.

I would probably consider the scarlet badis the CP fish. I think they, and sparkling gouramis, make great CP fish for nano communities. Unless you want a larger CP fish?

That's not enough cories. For the dwarf cories, get atleast 4..but I would get even more. The larger the group the more cory-like behavior you will see. The pygmies are very shy and reclusive. I would get 8. Try to find tank bred versions of these fish if at all possible. More often than not, they are wild caught. If you can get your hands on tank bred, you will lose less and they will be far less timid.
1+ The scarlets are gorgeous! I had a group of 12 pygmies and they still his in my 20 gallon. They do better in my moms 56 gallon comunity but the light is dimmer as well. So definetly shoot for dark substrate.

Back
Top Bottom