Fish Advice Needed - 5 Gallon Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TripleB67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Obviously from the information you gave me in my last post (I greatly appreciate your help), my original idea of a Dwarf Gourami and 3 Cory Cats in a 5 gallon tank wouldn't be a healthy aquarium.

So I'm hoping you can help me find fish that would be healthy in a 5 gallon aquarium.

The only fish I really don't want to have is a betta or a zebra danio (we've had several of them in the past so I'm wanting something different).

As far as what I would like in my ideal 5 gallon tank:
1) fish that are bright/colorful
2) more than just 1 fish in the tank
3) fish that swim in the middle/top of the tank as well as something on the bottom.

As far as fish that I like the looks of: tetras, male guppies, cory cats, loaches, shrimp (although haven't seen any of these locally), etc. Basically anything colorful or unique looking.

Thanks for any help and/or guidance.

TripleB67

1 otto(bottom) 2 glo-fish(top) and maybe 2 tetras.

How about celestial pearl danios? you could manage a school in a 5 gal. I don't know much about glofish, you may be able to house them in a 5 gal but I'd look into it. You need at least 5 of either of these fish.

pocket22 said:
1 otto(bottom) 2 glo-fish(top) and maybe 2 tetras.

No
Only ember tetras would work and they need schools of six
The only danios would be CPDs
Glofish need schools of six and at least a 20L tank

Endler's Livebearers are small colorful fish (the males at least). They are mid to top swimmers. CPDs would work too. Bottom, you may want to either go Red Cherry Shrimp or possibly some Corydoras Pygmaeus.

Obviously from the information you gave me in my last post (I greatly appreciate your help), my original idea of a Dwarf Gourami and 3 Cory Cats in a 5 gallon tank wouldn't be a healthy aquarium.

So I'm hoping you can help me find fish that would be healthy in a 5 gallon aquarium.

The only fish I really don't want to have is a betta or a zebra danio (we've had several of them in the past so I'm wanting something different).

As far as what I would like in my ideal 5 gallon tank:
1) fish that are bright/colorful
2) more than just 1 fish in the tank
3) fish that swim in the middle/top of the tank as well as something on the bottom.

As far as fish that I like the looks of: tetras, male guppies, cory cats, loaches, shrimp (although haven't seen any of these locally), etc. Basically anything colorful or unique looking.

Thanks for any help and/or guidance.

TripleB67
There are some great nano fish out there that work in 5 gal tanks. If you have limited selection locally, as I do, you may have to order online to get them.

IMO there are not many bottom dwelling species that will work in a tank this size. The only one that comes to mind is hara jerdoni, which I can't really recommend for the newer hobbyist. They are fairly sensitive. They need excellent water quality, a sandy substrate, and cool water in the low 70's. They are adorable little things and if you want to make this a cool water tank you can certainly try them, but be warned, they just aren't the hardiest little things.

Shrimp are you best bet for bottom dwellers in these smaller tanks. There is a very small species of dwarf crayfish called cambarellus shufeldtii aka cajun crays that would work as well.

Great fish options include chili rasbora and other microrasboras, celestial pearl danios, danio erythromicron aka emerald rasbora, ember tetras, sparkling gourami, scarlet badis, Endlers livebearers, least killies, pygmy sunfish, clown killfish, normans lampeye killifish, and of course bettas.

I agree with siva. Those are excellet options for a 5g tank. Embers are very colorful little guys and I have greatly enjoyed mine.
Red cherry shrimp are very fun to watch, I recommend them with one of the schools of nano fish siva suggested. They also reproduce fairly readily.

On top of what Siva said (which are all excellent choices), make sure you do your research on the fish before purchasing. I noticed that some fish mentioned were tropicals whilst others preferred cooler waters. Research research research. Thats the first step in successful fish keeping.

Great fish options include chili rasbora and other microrasboras, celestial pearl danios, danio erythromicron aka emerald rasbora, ember tetras, sparkling gourami, scarlet badis, Endlers livebearers, least killies, pygmy sunfish, clown killfish, normans lampeye killifish, and of course bettas.

Is there a certain number of each type of fish I should think about getting? ie: if I get chili rasboras, should I get 1 or 2 or 5; if I go with scarlet badis should I get 1 or 2 or 5; etc.

Thank you for your help.

TripleB67

Is there a certain number of each type of fish I should think about getting? ie: if I get chili rasboras, should I get 1 or 2 or 5; if I go with scarlet badis should I get 1 or 2 or 5; etc.

Thank you for your help.

TripleB67

tetras, danios and rasboras I know for sure are schoolers. I can't say for certain for the danios but you want at least 5 for the others, 6 is better. Danios may be the same or may need more I'm not very familiar with them. Some killifish school but I'm not sure what kidsn, I suggest researching them to find out if the type you are thinking about does.

Bettas, only 1 male or you could probably manage a couple females, not schoolers so they don't have a set number. Gourmi is probably just 1, I always find they make really good use of space.

Back
Top Bottom