Fish always hiding??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhloeM

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi everyone, so i recently stocked my empty tank with 5 ember tetras and a very small (he'll probably grow a tiny bit more) dwarf honey gourami. i plan on adding a few more ember tetras as well.
unfortunately, what seems to be happening is that my fish are always hiding in the back of the tank! there is a ton of cover back there. my tank is 10 gallons and is pretty heavily planted with silk and plastic plants, mainly towards the back of the tank. there are two plants up front, a terra cotta pot, and a ceramic hiding log. i would think that the more hiding places you give the fish, the less they'll hide since they feel more secure. but my fish never come out! the tetras do come out sometimes, but i never see my gourami, who is supposed to be my centerpiece fish. is there any way to fix this? i have hiding places in the front and in the back, so i don't know what else it could be! if i walk by the tank when the gourami is towards the front and not hidden, he gets scared and goes to the back again. not sure if i should start army crawling on the floor so he doesn't see me? ;) now i did add the fish only on friday, but i didn't think that the gourami would still not come out. like, i literally can never see him. he's so adorable since he's so tiny, and i'd love to watch him swim around, but he never comes out :( what should i do? any help would be appreciated!! thanks!

ps: my parameters as of two days ago are as follows:
amm- 0
pH- 7.0
nitrites- 0
nitrates- 0 to 5

Some fish take longer to adjust than others. I'd just sit back and relax for now. There is probably not much wrong. Are they eating? Try turning your tank lights out during the day, you don't have real plants so it shouldn't be an issue. The lights being off may stress them out less and make them want to come out. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some fish take longer to adjust than others. I'd just sit back and relax for now. There is probably not much wrong. Are they eating? Try turning your tank lights out during the day, you don't have real plants so it shouldn't be an issue. The lights being off may stress them out less and make them want to come out. Good luck!

thank you :) yeah, they finally ate a little yesterday, so maybe they are just taking a while to adjust. thanks so much for your advice!

No problem. I hope all goes well for your fish.

I have 2 honey gouramis in my quarantine tank. They have been there for nearly 2 weeks now. They are just now beginning to settle down. They seem to be very nervous fish. For the first week all they did was swim up and down frantically as if trying to find a way out.
It was several days until they would even eat anything. I am hoping that the move to the main tank won't blow their minds.

My ropefish hid constantly for about 40ish days. Sometimes it just takes awhile for josh to adjust to their environment.

Caleb

It will take a lot of fish some time to get comfortable with their surroundings. Just give it some time

My king kong parrot was the same way when I first got him. He'd hide whenever the lights were on or someone entered the room. He didn't eat for the first few days either. It took a few weeks until he started gradually coming out more with lights on or people in the room. Now he runs the tank and is out all of the time. He'll practically eat out of my hand now too. Just takes some fish a while to settle in I guess.

What really helped with my fish was sitting in the room with him with the tank light off and other lights in the room on. I'd watch TV at a low volume or talk to him while I was sitting on my bed. Once they get used to the sights and sounds of wherever they are, they'll come out. I still have to do this silly ritual to feed him where I turn the lights off, hide under a blanket, and listen for the chomping.

Back
Top Bottom