Fish Capacity in a 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geekzilla

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I am currently cycling my first 10-gallon tank with 6 Neon Tetras, and I have some basic questions about how many fish might be too many. Ultimately, I would like to add 6 glass fish and 3 ghost shrimp, but I am afraid this would overcrowd such a small tank. I have the Aqua Clear 10-20 deluxe hob filter, and I wonder if it could help alleviate the overcrowding problem. I’m not sure if it’s a very good filter or not, as it does not seem to clear debris from the gravel very well when I stir the gravel. I would also appreciate any suggestions for alternate setups that might work well with the Neons and provide an interesting environment. Thanks.

Welcome to AA!

I hope youre neons make it, they tend to be sensitive fish not good for cycling. Were you planning on keeping the neons with the galssfish? That would be way too many for a 10 and both fish have different needs. Glassfish are slightly brakish, and neons are not too keen on salt. Glassfish get about 2-3 inches I believe, so for a 10 I would say 3-4 would be a good number. You might want to get the next size aquaclear, or add a small sponge filter. No HOB will physically remove debris from the gravel, you have to do it manually with a gravel vacum. But while youre cycling its best to not disturb the gravel too much.

As far as neons go, they like slightly acidic soft water in a mature tank. They also do best in a planted tank. I would pick either neons or glassfish, but not both. If you do they will suffer and probably die.
The glass fish like hard water with a neutral to higher PH with some salt content(1 tblsp/2-3 gallons), marine salt is best. So do youre ghost shrimps.

How far are you in your cycle?

Actually the filter is an Aqua Tech not Aquaclear. Sorry, it was late. I had read somewhere that I should stir the gravel daily with a net to loosen up particles so that the filter could help clear up any debris, but I have been vacuuming gravel with the siphon hose when I do water changes. I get a fair number of small white "floaters" when I stir with the net, but they settle back down too quickly for the filter to help very much. My pH is stable at 7.5, and the Kh is 5, so my water is nuetral and soft (right?) I also read that Neons and glassfish were good tankmates, but I am assuming that is incorrect. Any other suggestions for small shoaling fish that will be happy with 3-4 of their own kind and the tetras? I am about two weeks into cycling and it seems to be going well so far.

While cycling don't mess with the gravel unless you have spots that are heavy in debris. And even then, only gravel vac about 50% of the gravel at a time. The filter isn't going to pull up all the debris, that's what the gravel vac is for. Don't add any fish until the tank is cycled. You don't need to stir the gravel at all. The only substrate that needs to be stirred is sand.

What kind of fish interest you in regards to stocking? We could give suggestions, but it woudl be best to know what kind of fish you like.

check out the freshwater fish in www.liveaquaria.com They have a pretty good selection which you can find for much cheaper at your LFS. Like Dr_girlfriend said, glassfish and neons have different needs. I also would not put the glassfish in a 10 gallon tank just because of the lack of swimming room.

As for suggestions:
Cory Cats
Otos
A Dwarf Gourami

Not all of them of course, but they would do well with your neons you already have.

Your pH is okay. 7.0 is nuetral and the higher it goes, the harder the water. The lower it goes, the softer/more acidic the water. Ideally neons do best in water between 6.5 and 7.0 but it is MUCH BETTER to have a STABLE pH than try to correct it with the chemicals at the fish store. Those cause more problems than they are worth. However, if you want to lower it naturally, check out peat or a small piece of driftwood. Never add any seashells or porous rock because those will increase your pH... unless that is your desired effect.

HTH!

Back
Top Bottom