Fish compatability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slgandy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there...I'm setting up a new 90 gallon tank and Am trying to figure out what fish to put in...I am absolutely in love with rose line sharks and rainbow sharks so I definitely want to put those in And I also love pitcus catfish so I want to put one of those in...I'm trying to think of other things I could stick the tank with but I'm having a hard time coming up with stuff...I love the look of sharks but I heard with balas you really need to have 5 for them to be happy and I'm afraid my tank is too small for that...I also love color so I'd love to put maybe some blood parrots in there but I've heard they can be too aggressive...I love large fish though so I just don't know...any suggestions would be nice...also will these fish be ok with live plants?

If you keep a rainbow shark it should be the only one in the tank that is a shark. They are an aggressive kind and do not do well with other sharks. Bala sharks they say do best in pairs of 3 or more but I am not sure with tank size as many say 70 gal is the minimum size to keep just one. Not too sure on your other suggestions.

Everything I was reading about rainbow sharks said they Are only aggressive towards their own kind or towards the red tailed sharks but that's it...is this not true?

Yes true, their own kind being any other shark fish. Rainbow, red tailed, bala.................

No, sorry, by their own kind I meant other rainbows....everything I read said they'd be ok with balas, rose line, and irridescent(I know my tanks too small for them)

I think every shark has their own personality, you can try it and hope for the best, doesn't mean you will get the best, doesn't mean you wouldn't either. A friend of mine kept a Bala and Rainbow Shark together and it was pure hell for her, she ended up rehoming the pair of them as they were also stressing her other fish to death.

But like I said they all have their own personalities so you never really know.

Yea and I know having a bala without other balas is a horrid idea anyway because they are such scaredy cats...regardless I'm not sure my tank is big enough for balas

In a 90 gal tank I wouldn't put more then 1 bala shark. They are gorgeous fish though.

Thanks but yea there's no way I would get just one bala...they are schooling :)

Back
Top Bottom