Fish compatibility question for a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mothas

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've finally got a chance to get a large tank, and am trying to figure out what to stock it with. The tank will probably be 150 gal. (I'm looking for the largest size that will fit in a 10 foot high by 6.5 foot wide by 22 inch deep alcove).

Parameters:
1) Fresh water
2) Well planted for both cosmetics and water quality purposes
3) Will be in the living room, so it needs to stay attractive and quiet.
4) Possible stock:
3 Blue Acaras, 6 Kribensis, 6-10 Clown loaches, 1 Red-tailed black shark, and a school of Cardinals (if I can find large ones), harlequin rasboras, or barbs and some assorted Gourami's. Also a couple of Plecos.

Does that sound workable?

That does sound workable to me. I would go with the rasoras rather than the barbs unless you plan on getting a larger school of the barbs. It also depends on what kind of barbs you are looking at. Some barbs such as tiger barbs are more aggressive than others. It's exciting deciding on what to stock with a larger tank. Are you planning on doing a fishless cycle?

Welcome to AA! :wave:

i think 10 clown loaches would be pushing it, once they reach full size, i'd go with 6.

In answer to the last two replies,

Re: fishless cycle - probably not. I've got a handful of small inherited fish that would be happier in a big planted tank than the little bare 10 gallon I'm keeping them in currently - couple of 4" plecos, couple of pretty drab cherry barbs, and some sort of armored catfish that's black and white and about 3" long. They seem like good candidates for seeding the nitrogen cycle.

Re: what kind of barbs - I kind of like tiger barbs, but probably can't combine them with cardinals - can they coexist with gouramis or rasboras? Otherwise I'm still looking - the niche to fill is an active mid-water fish to distract the ciclids.

Re: clown loaches - really? Given that I will probably get them locally 3" or less, how long would you estimate until they would be a problem? I'm vaguely recalling they usually top out at 6-8" in home aquaria but that takes many years, no?

Re fishless cycle: Why put your fish through the stress of a nitrogen cycle when you can seed the tank with some filter media from the 10 gallon and jump start your cycle that way? ...although if you've got them all in a 10 gallon right now, I guess there's a chance you could crash the 10 gallon before the cycle has run in the new tank.

Re clown loaches: I had the same initial reaction as zenkatydid. They grow to a foot in length. Yes, it takes a while, but still. Your stocking scheme does look great, but you just might want to reduce the number of clown loaches. 6 should still school and exhibit all of the cool loach behavior that make them such a cool fish. Based on adult size, I'm overstocking my 55 gallon with 4 clown loaches, but I plan on getting a bigger tank when they start to outgrow the 55.

My theory with the clowns is you will have to get larger tanks to house them in and hence MTS sets in. :lol: Clowns can get over 12" even in home aquaria.
I would definately recommend a fishless cycle, it takes less time than a fish cycle and is obviously easier on the fish.
As for barbs, I like the tigers too but they can get too nippy. Cherry barbs are pretty, but the rasboras will get along better IMO.

Back
Top Bottom